Hey British fagzzz, I need your help

I was already warned not to do exactly that, so as to not "confuse" them, but thanks anyway hahaha

Hahah, typical.

And don't forget film/movie as it's very common in class language. But I guess you were already aware of this one.

it's all bollicks if you ask me...
we had to decide in school whether we wanna speak BE or AE and had to stick to that.
as if there's only BE and AE...there are so many dialects and regional differences that are as big as the difference between AE and BE that chances are you won't be understood anyways, or the other way round...they're gonna understand you anyway.

and isn't that the key thought? to learn english so that you can converse in English?
who cares if it's AE or BE, it's not that you won't be able to get your point across on the other side of the pond.

I think it's way more important to actually get to speaking to people so you stop being shy and scared...so what, I went to the US and said "that's shite"...they still got what I was trying to tell them.
as I said, they won't get all the words, but as long as you're fluent in AE OR BE you'll be able to get the point across....and that's what it's about.

......And then there's Australia.

And South Africa.

But yes, in fact, there is no "Official Language" depending on the class book, they say granny, grandma, grandmother... Impossible not to "confuse" them from time to time.

Hahah, typical.

And don't forget film/movie as it's very common in class language. But I guess you were already aware of this one.

And South Africa.

But yes, in fact, there is no "Official Language" depending on the class book, they say granny, grandma, grandmother... Impossible not to "confuse" them from time to time.

those aren't really different words, rather abbreviations of grandmother......

those aren't really different words, rather abbreviations of grandmother......

Nep, disagree. If you look them up, they appear as nouns, so words.

An abbreviation would be Mr for Mister, Dr for Doctor, St for Street or Saint. If you look these up, they will appear as abbrvs. :D

But I know where you come from

Nep, disagree. If you look them up, they appear as nouns, so words.

An abbreviation would be Mr for Mister, Dr for Doctor, St for Street or Saint. If you look these up, they will appear as abbrvs. :D

No, they are abbreviations, I don't care what grammar says.

Nope, I just said granny is officially taught as a noun, not an abbreviation of Grandmother, which is true. I know it's confusing as they share the same root and mean the same. Go and find me any serious grammar book, dictionary or source that states it's an abbrv. I just say that there are differences between them.

Till then, let's get back to the topic. Not that important for it to take forever. Just an example as they use different words for the same thing in the UK eg. tube, underground.

One thing that bothered me slightly with the beginning of the thread...

If you're going to elongate a word to indicate a dragged-out or slurred pronunciation, some letters should be repeated and others shouldn't. If, for example, you want to say that you love someone *and* waste a good ten seconds more than necessary, you would probably drag out the 'o' and possibly add a little more of the consonants in for fun. You would not say 'love' and then follow up with an extended 'eeee' - between 'e' not being pronounced and that noise being annoying, it should be easy to see that repetition of the 'o' makes more sense than repetition of the 'e' and 'loooooove' should be used in place of 'loveeeeeeeeee'. Even when a letter is pronounced, it may not be sensible to drag it out because it simply might sound stupid - I'm not sure why 'fagz' would be dragged out *at all*, but I'm having an even harder time understanding why that word would be followed by a notable buzz unless the speaker were trying to make fun of someone with a drinking problem, a lithp, and a stustststustuttuttuter. For one last example, one might wish to sound like a burned-out hippie who has smoked his brain into a stew by elongating the word 'man' - most hippies of this sort will drag out the vowel, because even *they* realize that a buzzing 'n' doesn't sound right, and 'maaaan' - not 'mannnnnn' - should be written.

Jeff

If you're going to elongate a word to indicate a dragged-out or slurred pronunciation, some letters should be repeated and others shouldn't. If, for example, you want to say that you love someone *and* waste a good ten seconds more than necessary, you would probably drag out the 'o' and possibly add a little more of the consonants in for fun. You would not say 'love' and then follow up with an extended 'eeee' - between 'e' not being pronounced and that noise being annoying, it should be easy to see that repetition of the 'o' makes more sense than repetition of the 'e' and 'loooooove' should be used in place of 'loveeeeeeeeee'. Even when a letter is pronounced, it may not be sensible to drag it out because it simply might sound stupid - I'm not sure why 'fagz' would be dragged out *at all*, but I'm having an even harder time understanding why that word would be followed by a notable buzz unless the speaker were trying to make fun of someone with a drinking problem, a lithp, and a stustststustuttuttuter. For one last example, one might wish to sound like a burned-out hippie who has smoked his brain into a stew by elongating the word 'man' - most hippies of this sort will drag out the vowel, because even *they* realize that a buzzing 'n' doesn't sound right, and 'maaaan' - not 'mannnnnn' - should be written.

Jeff

It actually originated from a bit of an inside joke between Owen, Carlos and myself, when carlos mentioned how british people are fags and owen said something like "you mean fagzzz cause you guys love to put "z"s where there are "s" like in realise", so that's it, plus it sounds retardedly funny when you actually try to pronounce it.

Jeff

Dude, you know I have nothing but the highest admiration for your intellect and incredibly timed humor ...

but sometimes I think you need to switch to decaf, just for a few days ;)

Are you coming to England for some extra lessons in how much we also butcher the language (and your liver?)

Edit:

Center = USA

Centre = GB

you know about all the imperial vs metric shit as well??