'Dry' snare sounds?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
What kinds of heads/tuning do you guys go for to get a really dry snare sound? By dry I mean no ring.. something along the lines of a few of the Sup2.0 snares. I often get a thick tone (often around 300hz) that sounds bad if I EQ it out but I would like to get rid of it. Moongel helps get rid of the harmonics but not the tonic, plus too much muffles the sound.

Been meaning to try the Evans Dry head (can't remember exact name), but any other suggestions? And do you find tuning a certain way helps enhance/minimise this ring? Tuning the snare is the hardest part of tracking real drums I find.

Evans Genera HD Dry. Crank it right up. Maybe use a moon gel at the very edge of the drum, even half leaning onto the rim. Or you can chop them in half so that they don't make the drum too dead.

Sorry for the mini-resurrection, haven't had internet for a while. Do you guys have any clips of snares with those heads?

I'm probably a minority, but I don't like a lot of ring if any in my snares. I'll use mostly powerstroke 3 with dot and without dot. Sometimes powerstroke X. Sometimes 2 or 3 moongels. Whatever it takes. When I need more sustain, I'll change the compression or add more reverb.

It's not metal, but here's a 7 x 14 maple snare with Powerstroke 3 (no dot) and 2 moongels:

http://soundsundergroundstudio.com/studio/myspace/ssio_magnets.mp3

I'm probably a minority, but I don't like a lot of ring if any in my snares. I'll use mostly powerstroke 3 with dot and without dot. Sometimes powerstroke X. Sometimes 2 or 3 moongels. Whatever it takes. When I need more sustain, I'll change the compression or add more reverb.

It's not metal, but here's a 7 x 14 maple snare with Powerstroke 3 (no dot) and 2 moongels:

http://soundsundergroundstudio.com/studio/myspace/ssio_magnets.mp3

Do you have the raws of the closemic? Sounds good though tho.. natural?

no, this is not natural. The natural snare is slightly blended in.

Sorry, I don't have waves of just the raw snare. I do remember adding a shit ton of eq. Something like api 550b (hardware) -4 @ 700, +9 @ 5k, +9 @ 100hz, + 2 or 4 @ 10k shelf going into a distressor.