DT live with Vai?

Caparison Guitarist

Enter My Silence
Aug 15, 2003
Anyone have any videos of DT around this time? My buddy saw Vai live at this time, and said Townsend was playing some amazing and intense solos. I NEED TO SEE THIS! Anyone have any vids of DT playing with Vai? Or hell, does anyone have vids of him soloing at all?

Caparison Guitarist said:
Anyone have any videos of DT around this time? My buddy saw Vai live at this time, and said Townsend was playing some amazing and intense solos. I NEED TO SEE THIS! Anyone have any vids of DT playing with Vai? Or hell, does anyone have vids of him soloing at all?

That's not entirely true, or entirely false. At the beginning of the Sex & Religion tour Devin used to strap on a guitar near the end of Vai's solo and duel him a little bit. As Devin mentionned, he can pick pretty fast so it looked like he could actually somewhat be in contention, Vai has probably three time the left hand dexterity that Devin has. Anyway, Vai pulled that part of the show out because he thought it made him looked bad

Sure, Devin ain't no Steve Vai, but he can actually sweep pretty good. I've heard him do it on a SYL bootleg. I can email you the part if you'd like :)

Nicolas said:
We can hear on AE solos that Devin's guitar style is also pretty much inspired by Vai

Yes you're right, but I think that it's on the whole production process that Dev learnt a lot from steve...Working with a guy like Steve Vai(even if it's not one of the most humble musician on this earth) is a great opportunity for your career...

Geoff

You're right. I love still Vai but he is a little bit ridiculous when he thinks that he is very clever and with a high spirituality level...
But musically speaking: :worship::worship::worship:

I met our lovely mister vai while i was attending the Musicians Institute.
he was a total ass but he owns me when it comes to solo's. i hate his attitude, but love his tone........ain't that a bitch.

I won't say that I hate his attitude, but sometimes he goes too far. And yes, there is nothing more ridiculous than a guy that thinks that he is a genius.