Dual Rectifier, Framus Cobra observations

Nov 6, 2005
http://www.reverbnation.com/ravensongstudios/song/22627658-the-gathering-storm

I was playing with tones and layering the new dual rectifier with my cobra. The amps feel different, and sound different in the room, but under the mic they sound very similar (the cobra is just a little bit brighter and tighter on heavy handed and faster parts). And in spending years dialing in the cobra, they actually dial in very similarly (mesa is treble, mid, bass, gain, cobra is gain, bass mid, treble, gain again). I also cut up some of the guitar bus tracks to compare them.

The mix isn't super awesome, as the drums and synth are from a preproduction demo I had, and the first part since I was micing in my mix room my monitors are loud enough to mess with the tracks (some phase coherency and roomy sound). I only had a couple of hours to record and "mix", so it's pretty lackluster but was a fun test to see how they gel together.

agreed, these dont really sound anything alike. the framus sounds much smoother on the top end and more boomy in the lows/low mids.

Fair enough. The tones felt like they could've been the same amp dialed in differently on everything I listened to it on.

I remember reading somewhere that a Framus Cobra was just a glorified Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Having played around with them a lot in Recabinet, I think the Cobra sounds like the Rectifier with the depth control backed off 5 or 6 numbers. The low end thump is very similar, although the high end of the Cobra sounds more like a 5150 to me than a Rectifier. Sorta similar gain response though.

The attack of the Cobra is very different - much tighter due to the shape of the pre filter. And yes, the Cobra's attack is more similar to that of a 5150. Where it is similar to the Dual Rec is its low frequency focus in the power section. Still, it really is its own unique beast - there's no other amp like the Cobra IMO.