Dual Rectifier vs. Roadking

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
Does anyone know if the Orange and Red mode on a Roadking sounds identical to a Dual Rectifier?

a road king is a dual rectifier with a better clean channel (for version one it is different and version two it is the lone star channel "strip" if you wanna call it that) and an additional "2" channel voiced around a pair of el34 for additional clean and light overdrive tones.

it also has reverb, the ability to mix and match between any combination of 4 6l6 and 2 el34 tubes and different speaker configs and multiple loops and basically a whole bunch of other neat configuration things.

essentially a road king is a dual rectifier which has the ability to be highly customized and MUCH better cleans. but their distortion is pretty much the same aside from the fact that the road kign can do everything a dual rec could do btu a road king has the ability to do MORE.

also channel 3 on the road king is voiced slightly more like the 2 ch "chanel two" rectifier which came directly from mesa. its a little more "gritty and brittle" and brighter.

i found that using 50 w of el34 and 50 w of 6L6 in vintage mode in ch3 give you a great lead channel and a very opethish heavy rhythm distortion.

my guitarist has a road king, and i have a dual rec, the dual rec is much clearer and produces a tighter tone, the road king has too much gain and is buzzy. but who isnt amazed by the features the road king has. still not worth the $3500 price tag if you ask me. ive recorded with both amps and have found the 1999 dual rec to have a more usable tone

dude they are identical in the standard rectifier modes. there is not that much noticable difference between a single DR and a RK that you wouldnt find between two diffetent DR...

you are doing somehting wrong and the pedal and cabs have a lot to do with as well as maybe different guitars and players...

ch3 is slightly brighter with the RK but the "rectifier" modes are pretty identical...