Dustin = Musical Genius

Mar 2, 2009
Utah
Somthing I have come to learn over the past few months, is the musical Genius that Dustin posses.:worship:
To give you an idea of what he has been doing to himself for the past few months, to do it justice I have to give some history as I remember it.
A lot of people don't know but before he was the "lord of the low-end thump" he was a shredder on the guitar, preparing to attend Berklee in Boston. When Kat V started, Dustin could find anyone to play the bass the way that he wanted to hear it so he did it himself.
Knowing this the last 10 years in Kat V has forced him to put his AXE slaying on the back burner. He would still get it out to get ideas going for tunes in all of the previous albums.
With the changes that have come over the band in the last year he has had the opportunity to really start chipping the 10 years of rust away from his guitar.
The net result..... We have been able to work at an unpresented speed, that Kat V has never before experienced.
Dustin's chops are coming back, every time we jamm I get more and more convinced that he is the right person to continuing to carry the Katagory V banner.
Another thing that has made this experiene so different is the use of our Pro Tools studio. Finally the ideas come out and their laid down. No coming to the next rehearsals to scratch head and wonder, "what was I doing here!"
The thing that really possesed me to ramble on about all this, was an experience that really struck me a few weeks ago.
Al has written lyrics to one of his songs. He sent us a recording of him singing a-capella to a click track. The amount of time and effort that he had to put into figuring out the key, chord structure, progressions, and changes is staggering. After all that, he has been able to come up with somthing really cool. He gave me his vocals and guitars minus drums tracks, and gave me two days to gather my ideas and record a scratch track. It actually worked out great, and has become one of my favorite songs.
The thing I really like is our writing chemistry.... We have a very open writing relationship, my ideas are always welcomed, even when refering to guitar and bass riffs and rythms.
I know that I have not been in the band long enough to earn creditibilty with anybody but Dustin and Al, But anyone who is doubting Dustin's ability to
carry this band musically should be pleasantly supprised!
-Bizzaro-

You are correct! -I really like that tune, it's very accurate in the way it describes the degeneration of the family, and ultimately our society.
It is amazing how one person's bad choices can create several generations of addiction, abuse, neglect, poverty, and crime.
The really cool thing about the whole situation, is at least one thread is being broken. (you know what I mean)
Although, I do however really sympathize with those that are caught in the cycle. I think that it's tragic for any one to grow up with in it, they become a victim of thier circumstance doomed for history to repeat it'self.
-Bizzaro

Try counseling folks in that situation. It's hard even when they want to get out of it.

Al's going to bring the disc with him when he sees me this weekend. I really can't wait to hear what you guy's have done so far. Even though I've heard mostly everything, there's still a part of me going "OMG! Put up new songs soon, Dustin! I wanna hear them!" I can't explain why, because I've already heard many of them! Maybe I just can't wait for Dustin + all you new guys to get into the studio so we can all hear the finished product. :)

I agree.... I can't wait! we've been working at a fairly insaine rate. The fact that we have more or less written the whole album in just over two months is crazy. I'm really happy with the product so far....And its still pretty rough.

I can tell ya.... I feel the same way. I can't wait to start tracking and really hearing how the songs lay out.
They are all very unique, there isn't one cookie cutter song that all the others sound like. I for one am pleased about that!
Bizzaro-