DVD questions...

Vossyrus

Apr 25, 2007
Canada
So I was planning on purchasing a fairly rare DVD online. The movie is french and I specifically need this version that has English subtitles. There are a couple different sellers in the UK that have it, but there is a note that says one, is a 'Region 2' DVD and the other, a 'Region 0' DVD so that the DVD player must be compatible. I don't know much about this issue. Which is the best choice or does it matter?

I live in Canada, and would a Region 0 or 2 DVD work on my standard DVD player, I have no idea if it is compatible or not since I don't have the manuals that came with the player etc. Also, how does the whole region thing work and what's the point? But I'm guessing it shouldn't matter all that much because won't any version be able to play on my computer anyways? If that's the case, then I need not worry much.

Thanks :) I'm guessing it won't work with my dvd player...but does anyone know if there would be an issue trying to play it on computer or can computer play all regions and format of dvds?

Edit: Apparently my computer can play different region DVDs if you change the region settings but you can only change the region 4 times, and once used up, they can't be brought back even by re-installing windows and whatever else...seriously fuck that!!

With computer DVD drives there are ways around it depending on how the region counter is implemented. For most of the more common DVD drives there are firmware hacks that will permanently disable the region counter, allowing you to change regions as often as you want. I have done this to my own drive and it works very well. It's not entirely without risk though, flashing your DVD drive's firmware might render it completely useless if something goes wrong (it's not very likely this will happen but it is an inherent risk of updating firmware on devices).

There are also ways to hack certain stand-alone DVD players (some can have their region checks disabled by entering certain codes via the remote control for instance). Google for stuff like "DVD region firmware" and "DVD region hacks" and you'll probably find some sites for both types of devices.