Yet another Opeth DVD thread

Nostalgiaplatz

So why not moving?
Dec 20, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
First off: Sorry for starting another DVD thread, but I seriously need a help here :)

I've acquired today Opeth's DVD, and to my dismay, it didn't work. It's as if there wasn't any DVD or CD inside the drive. I've looked at the stamped cover on the DVD and it says "region 0, pal", I'm hugely clueless as far as DVDs are concerned, so I'm here asking for your help.

Is it normal the behaviour I explained above?
Has anyone had the same problem? if so did you fixed it? how?

I know the DVD isn't damaged, as I was able to watch it soundless at my work, but not at home. Perhaps it's a problem in my DVD reader? I would like to have some opinions before I take the DVD to the stores, as its still under
waranty.

I'm european, more specificly living in portugal, also my DVD at home is set to region 2, which I seem not to understand.. but I don't care at all, all I care is
to watch the DVD!!

BTW, my DVD drive is an LG DRD-8160B has anyone used it to see opeth's dvd? if so, what's the current region it is set to and, did you unlocked it with some sort of DVDflash utility? if so, which.. etc... :)

Thank you for any insights on the matter.

Okay... You DVD player can't play PAL DVDs. That's my guess. It may be your TV, but since your DVD player doesn't seem to recognize it...

Dude, it's a computer DVD player, sorry I forgot to mention that... :)

But, in case it's due to lacking PAL support, do you or anyone seem to know how I am supposed to check what it does support? I've no other DVDs, this is my first one.

Definitely should work on any computer DVD-drive unless it's like 5 years old. If it still doesn't work after reinstalling drivers,take the DVD back...

Btw,I just thought of this,is it impossible to watch Region 0 DVDs too after the drive has locked into a specific region (2,in this case)?

If its a computer DVD drive im sure you should be able to change the region a few times before it locks in solidly... your problem may either be that the lens on the DVD player is dmged and cant read the DVD, or if u can use it fine with other DVDs, then try to find drivers for it... or a 'crack' that will let you play all region DVDs.

Here's a pretty good FAQ on this topic:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

Generally you shouldn't encounter any problems playing whatever DVD on a computer. The PAL / NTSC problem concerns only TV Sets & DVD standalones, and the region code shouldn't cause problems as the Opeth DVD is region code 0, and therefore playable everywhere. I suspect you have a problem with your DVD drive. Are you sure it reads DVD 9 (two layers)?

Thanks for the insights.

Yonder said:
Here's a pretty good FAQ on this topic:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

Generally you shouldn't encounter any problems playing whatever DVD on a computer. The PAL / NTSC problem concerns only TV Sets & DVD standalones, and the region code shouldn't cause problems as the Opeth DVD is region code 0, and therefore playable everywhere. I suspect you have a problem with your DVD drive. Are you sure it reads DVD 9 (two layers)?

Nope... I'm not sure, but I will take it to the store. I don't have other DVDs to try, opeth was the first one I bought, I will ask a few to a friend just to test them here. Is it feasible to ask the vendor to give me another dvd drive, even though its under waranty, just because a specific DVD region 0 doesn't work? I'm not sure, just wondering...

Thanks everybody :)