DW Drums...worth the hype?

Andeee48

New Metal Member
Mar 10, 2011
Anyone recorded DW Drums or have experience with them? I was offered a smoking deal on a demo three piece kit at $1,450 US and I am debating between that and a custom drum company or Tama Starclassic.

Some drummers/engineers swear by DW, others think they are over-hyped and over priced. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

I've heard DW kits at a couple of gigs. Both times I instantly went "wow, those drums sound fucking amazing!" And this is at a shit venue with a shit soundman. Just a low end A&H mixer eq'd a bit. No compressors/gates patched in. Sounded awesome.

Every DW kit I've had the privilege of spending time with at various studios has been amazing (6 different kits.) That is a steal at that price!

I have a DW set in my studio... beats every drum kit the band brings in!

I recorded a DW a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in my life I loved the sound of the drums enough to keep the toms 100% natural and just blend kick and snare instead of completely replacing them. :)

I love DW's toms (I think it has something to do with the bearing edge design) but I've never been a huge fan of their snares or kicks (at least the ones I've recorded and/or mixed). I'd definitely still choose DWs over any of the Keller-shell custom drum companies.

$1450 isn't a bad price, but in that price range I'd personally prefer Tama Starclassics.

They make great kits, despite the high price tag. DW tends to get a lot of praise because they don't make low-end sets (they do, but under the Pacific or PDP name), compared to a company like Pearl, which sells the "Forum" line for $600 kit versus a Masterworks kit for $3000.

Anyone recorded DW Drums or have experience with them? I was offered a smoking deal on a demo three piece kit at $1,450 US and I am debating between that and a custom drum company or Tama Starclassic.

Some drummers/engineers swear by DW, others think they are over-hyped and over priced. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

DW is a holy grail company, but you should test this "three piece kit" before make your decision. I say this because Tama Starclassic is a incredible drumkit and you shouldn´t take anything less than godlike instead of it. The attention and quality that Tama brings to every detail on their drums makes me wanna write a love letter to the japanese.