New Drum Sample Library!

About 8 months ago, my business partner and I started putting together a sample library with the intention of providing the most realistic, engineer-centric drum sample library ever created. We borrowed/rented a ton of drums and recorded them at STEM Recording in Phoenix using a Trident 80b console, PTHD2 and Aurora converters.

The idea is that all the drums were sampled and delivered with NO compression or EQ, just obsessive attention paid to tuning and mic placement. This way the engineer can make the samples into whatever they feel is the best drum sound for their project. We set up 24 mics on the kit and tracked every drum with individually controllable room mics (5 different choices), overheads and a large number of close mics for each kit piece.

The samples will be released soon in the usual formats (wav, gog, tci, drt). We sampled a 4-piece DW Custom kit and an Ayotte 3 piece kit. As far as snares, we have a Slingerland Radio King, Tama Bell Brass and Ludwig Black Beauty, each with 4 different tunings.

Here's a little taste of what we've been working on....

You can check out pictures of the recording sessions at roomsound.com

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the first time I saw drt format. if it is usual I guess I was living in a cave...

As far as I know, there are no commercial libraries available for Massey's DRT (other than ours). If you're on Pro Tools, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It has, by far, the BEST detection out of all currently available drum replacement programs. The drum replacement on the demo video was done with the default settings. No tweaking, no fuss. I simply loaded the samples and hit "process". It handled the buzz rolls and velocity changes like a charm.