4D Sounds - Sphere studios drum library (TesseracT & Monuments)

Tesseract

Dec 2, 2003
Milton Keynes UK
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thought i'd share this here as I used to post a fair bit on these forums ages ago.
I've released my first drum sample library which was recorded at the amazing Sphere Studios in London with Jamie Postones (TesseracT) and Mike Malyan (Monuments) behind the kits. The live room there sounds incredible and really compliments drums. Quite a short decay but enough to add plenty of depth.

The session was engineered by studio owner Francesco Cameli who has worked with an extensive client list that includes the likes of Queen, Phil Collins, West Life, Gary Moore, Bullet For My Valentine, New Model Army and TesseracT. Martin Oldham (clients including Maroon 5, Keane, Elton John, Killing Joke and Razorlight) was also on hand as drum tech for the session.

We sampled a Vibe kit (my favorite) and Mike's DW kit and one Ludwig Black Beauty snare. All recorded through lovely gear (Neve, Prism, Neumann, Royer, Telefunken etc)

It is available for Kontakt (5.10.6066 or higher), Slate Trigger or as WAV @ £25. Kontakt is recommend as long as you're patient with Kontakt's routing setup.

For more details check the website here. Would love to know what you think :)
http://www.4dsounds.com/download-drum-samples/sphere-studio-drum-samples

Some examples and photos...

franc51d690531b31a.JPG

setup2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good man! But always hard to judge without it being in context with music. You'd probably benefit from having it mixed in with some heavy guitars too. Good luck!

And i PM'ed you too :)

Pulled the trigger; absolutely LOVE THEM.

BEAUTIFUL fucking snares and the rooms are LUSH, yet... it's all UNIQUE!

GET AT EM!

The demo's impressed me but not like WHOA HOLY FUCKING SHIT; but due to my drum sample obsession, they were 90% there and I had to grab em.

DO ITTTTTTTTTT

Hehe thanks Charles, glad you like them. The room mics are the important bit, especially for the snare.

The samples are raw. I personally don't like processed samples as everyone will want to do different things to them and it will be specific to the genre/song.

One thing i should mention is that they are quite hot so you may want to bring the inputs down at least 6db. Franc always records with his Neve in mind where hot signals are your friend ;)

Hehe thanks Charles, glad you like them. The room mics are the important bit, especially for the snare.

The samples are raw. I personally don't like processed samples as everyone will want to do different things to them and it will be specific to the genre/song.

One thing i should mention is that they are quite hot so you may want to bring the inputs down at least 6db. Franc always records with his Neve in mind where hot signals are your friend ;)

How did you make dat a little bit ringy sound of the snare on the 'chug chug' demo?

Considering picking these up once I have had a look, can I ask why Kontakt is specifically recommended? Is there a reason not to use Trigger or is it simply because Kontakt naturally allows greater control?

Also just to check this would include kick snare and toms for both kits, and then an extra snare sample which is the Ludwig?

These do sound good. Slate really needs to open up his SSD4 format for custom kits - licence it out to developers, or take a cut on the sample sales.

If using Trigger, can you have multiple velocities for a sample per slot? Or is it single shot?

Oh, I'm a fan of necrobumping over making new threads, I just wouldn't expect the OP to still be paying attention or remember the details of how he got the ring just right on a snare drum 2 years ago. Carry on