E Kit suggestions?

OrderedAudio

Jul 25, 2011
I'm looking to get a set to start learning to play and also track drums to midi but what I'm looking for may be a little weird

what I'm for is a kit that will trigger midi samples in something like Kontakt player for cymbals and stuff but at the same time being able to trigger drum agog for kick snare and toms
do you think it is possible with the Alesis USB Studio Drum Kit

and if you know one thats in the price range of around 500 you think would work please share and give me advice

Altough I can't help you on the selection of a kit, I can tell you that any ekit with a midi output (which I bet every drumbrain has) should be able to trigger both of those programs at the same time. Just load up both plugins in a single session (on different tracks), set them both to receive all incoming midi information, and map the kitpieces to the desired instruments in either plugin (this is easier on some programs than others).
For example, I use the cymbals of Superior Drums at the same time as Slate's kicks, snares and toms this way.

One note of warning though: using multiple plugins can introduce latency very quickly. Usually this doesn't matter so much, but when drumming, even the slightest bit of latency will be VERY annoying. You may have to experiment a bit to get everything going smoothly. Personally, I use a toned down session (no compression and EQ and all that stuff) for practice, and if I record something, I just use the recorded midifile in a different session where I can go nuts on sampleselection, mixing and effects.