Studio kit suggestions?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
So I'm buying a house this winter and I'm planning to renovate the basement into my studio. I want to buy a studio kit because we all know what the ratio of drummers with good gear to the ratio with bad gear is, and I've always wanted a drum set because I've always loved playing, but never lived anywhere where I could play.

I was looking at a 6 piece Pearl Reference kit, and I'm willing to drop that sort of cash, but is it really necessary? What do you guys think about the high end kits from other companies and how do they compare price wise? Was also considering a Starclassic kit (should I get maple or bubinga?), the Sonor Delite series, and the Yamaha Maple Customs/Oak Customs/Recording Customs...

I really don't know much about the different lines offered by all the drum companies or what woods I should be looking at, so any help is appreciated! As I said, I don't mind dropping the $4500 for a 6 piece Reference kit (looking at getting something with 10" 12" 14" and 16" toms and a 22" kick) but if I could get a fantastic sounding 6 piece for closer to $3k that would be nice :lol:

Do I really need a kit that expensive to get truly great drum tones though? I sort of liken it to buying a Bogner Ecstasy when you can get the best guitar sound ever heard on record out of a 5150...

How are the Sonor Force 3007 kits for example? Maybe the old Pearl Session Customs that are discontinued now?

I have been extremely happy with my mapex mars kit. I paid $300 for it because I searched ebay for kits near me that the seller would not ship. They wont ship=nobody bids=I win. Bonus if they refuse to take paypal.
I added new heads and zildjian A's and my kit schools 90% of what comes in here.

I have been extremely happy with my mapex mars kit. I paid $300 for it because I searched ebay for kits near me that the seller would not ship. They wont ship=nobody bids=I win. Bonus if they refuse to take paypal.
I added new heads and zildjian A's and my kit schools 90% of what comes in here.

I had an old Ludwig USA that was like that. It got burned in a fire though. :hotjump:

I went with a Sonor Force 3005 set for my studio and honestly, for the price they sound and record absolutely fantastic. I was originally looking between the Sonor Force, the Yamaha Recording Customs and the Tama equivalents, and I really couldn't justify the price difference, especially considering how nice the Sonor Force series sound for their price.

I've had Pearl Masters in my studio before and not been able to get results that compare. Of course they were not my kits and haven't received the love and attention I give my own gear, but just the same, the Sonors have been wonderful.

My suggestion would to seriously look into the Sonor Force 3007 sets (The 3005 replacement) and purchase two sets of toms, one set for a power size and one set for fusion. You would have a TON of configuration and tuning options going that way, and even when throwing in an extra set of toms, spend less than if you went with another kit or model that is considered "higher end" than the 3007s.

I purchased mine with a fusion set sized set of toms, 8,10,12,14 and I am seriously considering getting another set in the future for different applications, even though the Black Sparkle finish on my 3005s has been discontinued, I can still get the 3007 tom set in regular Black.

If you're so inclined, you may even be able to find the discontinued 3005 kit somewhere on closeout and save even more cash you could use for something else, cymbals, stands, mics, etc.

Thanks for the info dudes! I'm seriously considering the Mapex Saturn series based on a few recommendations and they are pretty affordable as well... If the Pro M's are better than Starclassics then the Saturn can only be better right? I can get a 6 piece for like $2k which is pretty good... I'll check out the Sonor stuff as well though!

Here's one way

Inexpensive Used Kit (Drums)

Quality Snare (Optional)

Quality Quick Cymbals

Quality Overheads

Inexpensive mic or trigger for each drum

Drumagog

Slate Samples

Thanks for the info dudes! I'm seriously considering the Mapex Saturn series based on a few recommendations and they are pretty affordable as well... If the Pro M's are better than Starclassics then the Saturn can only be better right? I can get a 6 piece for like $2k which is pretty good... I'll check out the Sonor stuff as well though!

I think I said it before but I love the saturn series. :headbang:

I hated the included snare though. :puke:

Pearl Reference are amazing drums. But I wouldn't let just any player play those drums.
Pearl sessions are the same woodtype as the Masters MMX, and sound really good.
If you decide to by a Pearl sessions, maybe you might want to go with a better quality snare.

The great thing about mapex is that you have a lot of customizing options. And yeah, a lot of people write them off as bad quality because they aren't the price of a DW, but they have a lot of potential.

People mapex is garbage get over it!

Just buy a dw kit and be done with it. Then you know you got one of the best. Specially if you have 4,000 to spend you can get a nice Dw set for that. Then the drummers will love coming to your place to record!

Ok i may have been a little harsh on mapex but i just don't think there that good personally. Ive had mapex shoved down throat for years from my old drummer and his kit was garbage and i finally made him realize that when he played on a dw. Now Ive also recorded a few mapex kits and also dw kits and it was night and day between the two. Just my opinion and i know there are some decent mapex kits but if you want your money worth just buy the dw.

nuff said.... :Smokin:

I'd recommend you get traditional tom depths. I went with standards & placing the 14X12 can be a real pain...

That being said, you can't go wrong with DW.... But since you're Canadian I can put you in touch with the Glenn Berger Drum Co. down here in Windsor. Mr. Berger builds some amazing stuff for about 1/2 the price of DW.

One of my client bands has a Berger kit & it's my favorite to record outside of my DW's.

I went with a Sonor Force 3005 set for my studio and honestly, for the price they sound and record absolutely fantastic. I was originally looking between the Sonor Force, the Yamaha Recording Customs and the Tama equivalents, and I really couldn't justify the price difference, especially considering how nice the Sonor Force series sound for their price.

I've had Pearl Masters in my studio before and not been able to get results that compare. Of course they were not my kits and haven't received the love and attention I give my own gear, but just the same, the Sonors have been wonderful.

My suggestion would to seriously look into the Sonor Force 3007 sets (The 3005 replacement) and purchase two sets of toms, one set for a power size and one set for fusion. You would have a TON of configuration and tuning options going that way, and even when throwing in an extra set of toms, spend less than if you went with another kit or model that is considered "higher end" than the 3007s.

I purchased mine with a fusion set sized set of toms, 8,10,12,14 and I am seriously considering getting another set in the future for different applications, even though the Black Sparkle finish on my 3005s has been discontinued, I can still get the 3007 tom set in regular Black.

If you're so inclined, you may even be able to find the discontinued 3005 kit somewhere on closeout and save even more cash you could use for something else, cymbals, stands, mics, etc.

I agree on the Sonor. I have heard Derek Roddy play one of these and must admit it was fantastic sounding.

I'd recommend you get traditional tom depths. I went with standards & placing the 14X12 can be a real pain...

That being said, you can't go wrong with DW.... But since you're Canadian I can put you in touch with the Glenn Berger Drum Co. down here in Windsor. Mr. Berger builds some amazing stuff for about 1/2 the price of DW.

One of my client bands has a Berger kit & it's my favorite to record outside of my DW's.

Cool thanks for the info, I'll see if I can dig anything up about them.