Which drum kit to get?

burst

Jun 7, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Hey guys, maybe you can help me decide which drum kit should I get for my studio. I know it's kinda old-school but I really want to learn how to get killer drum sound with samples only augmenting it. And for that I need a good source.
I've tracked Yamaha's maple custom absolute and power recording custom and liked the first one better, but it's fucking too pricey for me in the stores and no one sales them used. So right now I'm stuck with these options:
1) Yamaha maple custom absolute - guess i can starve a little more? That kick was brootalz.
2) Yamaha recording custom - this one was very good, but maybe I just suck at tuning and haven't unleashed its true power?
3) Tama starclassic - best toms that I've heard but very pricey.
4) Pearl session - never heard this kit but it's in my price range here.
5) Sonor 3005/3007 - I always thought of 'em as a good rehearsal drums but I see a lot of positive reviews.
6) Peace paragon maple or kahuna - never heard this either, but price is good.

I'll be very grateful for any input that you guys might have. Please share your experiences with different kits. And what sizes do you like for bass drum and toms, I was thinking about usual 22", 12", 14", 16"...

I'd look for a used Tama Starclassic Performer birch. I've done hundreds of drum sessions and in my opinion the Starclassics are the most consistently great sounding kits out there for rock - and you can easily find them used for $750-1000 in good shape. Plus the hardware is excellent!

My tech also owns one of the newer birch/bubinga hybrid Starclassics and it's great as well (more bass and sustain than the standard punch but slightly less attack).

If you can swing the Yammies, they won't let you down either.

I have never got good results with yamahas on recording. Tried oak custom and stage custom several times... definately not my cup of tea. Tama was great. I had bubinga birch and it was amazing on recording. Great sustain and nice attack. But kick-mounted toms were killing me with resonances all the time so I sold it. You can also find a used starclassic for ~1500. They are the most "recordable" kits on the market. I mean they will always work on any production. Now I use Gretsch new classic maple. It is the beast! The most balanced kit I ve heard so far. And just great to record. Look for it, it is 2000-2500 though. Sonor is not even close to tama and gretsch. If you are on a budget pick up Ddrum. I had dominion ash for half a year, it was my first drum kit in the studio and it was pretty cool, nothing special but worked realy well all the time.