Seeking Drum Kit Miking Advice

462studio

462 Studio
Apr 26, 2006
Maine
www.myspace.com
Hi All,

I'm going to be recording a few drum tracks for a friend soon and I'm looking to add to my collection of equipment to better accommodate recording a drum kit. I do plan to try my hand at some sound/sample replacement on this recording because the kit is a relatively inexpensive set and will be recorded in less than ideal conditions.

I currently have the following microphones.
1 x 421 (Planning to use this on the FT)
3 x SM57 (Planning to use two on the rack toms and one on the snare)
1 x AT3035 (Using as an overhead)
1 x KICK DRUM MIC (I don't have one!)

So, I'm wondering if it's a horrible idea to purchase another AT3035 and use it with the one I have currently as a pair of stereo overheads for the kit? Otherwise I would imagine I'd purchase a set of sub $200 pencil style condensers microphones.

I'm also trying to figure out what I should do for the kick drum; should I use any old SM58 I have kicking around and just replace the sound with a Drumagog like solution, or should I really just invest in an appropriate kick drum microphone like the AKG D112, even if I end up using a sound replacement method?

I'm also not planning on specifically placing a microphone on the hi-hat, because it's a "punk" style of music and I'm guessing I really won't need to accentuate that very much; worst case scenario after a test mix, I could throw a simple SM58 I have on it if needed.

Any and all input welcome. :)

Yes get a 3035 so you can do overheads in stereo.

For the kick - if you're going to completely replace it, and you're on a tight budget, use the 58.

I think there is an extremely good chance I will be replacing it entirely. Although using this moment as an excuse to purchase a dedicated kick drum microphone hasn't escaped my mind. :)

The 421 will be a bit more scooped in the mids, and the 112 will have more bottom, in my experience. I've not used the 421 on kicks much since I have two 112s and a D6. I would serisouly consider the D6 if you're doing lots of rock and metal.