Have this selection of microphones for recording drums...

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Got quite a decent selection of microphones for recording next week. I have a general idea of how I'm going to approach it, but wanted to see what ideas other people might have.

The mics:

2 x SE Electronics SE3
1 x SM57
1 x Beta SM57A
1 x Audix D6
1 x Beta 52A
2 x Rode M3
1 x T-Bone SC400
1 x Rode K2
1 x Rode NT-4
2 x SM58
1 x Audix I5
1 x Sennheiser e606
1 x Sennheiser e609
2 x 421's

Thinking I'll use the K2 in a figure-8 pattern in front of the kit, to capture the kit in a general manner. Thinking I'll use the SE3's as overheads, as I quite like them, and use the M3's as spot microphones for the ride and hi-hat. D6 for the kick, SM57 or Audix I5 for the snare top. SC400 for the snare bottom.

The thing I'm really wondering about is how to best capture the ambient sound of the room - it's a big warehouse environment with some really nice natural reverb. So I want capture that. Maybe the NT-4 would be enough, or maybe I should use the K2 as a mono room microphone.

Thoughts?

one of my fav kick drum combos is the D6 with the Beta 52, no questions asked really!!! really really love what i have captured in the past with it.

Never been too fussed on the 421's especially compared to the 609's i just think the md421 is such a hollow, middy thin sounding mic everytime ive used it on different applications! but id have the 609 on the high tom perhaps, 57 on snare for sure, the rest i'd just work out the kit sound and put mics in appropriately really!!

Drew, I am not familiar with all of those listed microphones, but as far as capturing ambient sound of that warehouse goes, try using mics which offer omni polar pattern, and then hang it above drummer's head or behind/in front of the kit, at like 2-3m height.