$2500 to burn... suggestions??

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
due to an insurance claim i have some extra money and plan on upgrading the home studio (although the money would def be better spent elsewhere:devil:). to give you an idea of what i currently have:

steinberg ur824 interface (i use a PC and do not have firewire, not looking to change either at the moment)
kemper profiling amp
1 x sm57
1 x sm58
2 x audix d2
1 x audix d4
1 x audix d6
1 x audix i5
1 x shure beta52
2 x oktava mc012
2 x sterling audio st-51
assorted CAD mics that I use for spot mics

i think i am pretty happy with the mic arsenal but any upgrades you can recommend would be appreciated (sm7b comes to mind)

software:
waves CLA
ozone 5
slate vcc
slate fg-x
pro tools 10

i am not crazy about the idea of spending more money on software but if there is anything you think is "essential" i am all ears..

I would stray from software. Software becomes out dated after a short period of time, hardware rarely ever becomes outdated. Studio bass maybe?

Always try to improve however you can from the source, it will go ten times farther than trying to mix not so desirable sources. What about monitors? Acoustic treatment?

I would stray from software. Software becomes out dated after a short period of time, hardware rarely ever becomes outdated. Studio bass maybe?

Always try to improve however you can from the source, it will go ten times farther than trying to mix not so desirable sources. What about monitors? Acoustic treatment?

i have a bass and monitors, not the best in the world but both more than serviceable.

i am leaning heavily towards acoustic treatment and some studio furniture at the moment... not exactly the "sexy" choice but it may be the best investment at the moment

You can buy me a Mesa Mark V, thanks! :lol:

It's really all up to what you want/need most man!

believe me i am verrrryyyy tempted to pull the trigger on a used jcm 800 or mark iv but i have too many amps already (and a kemper to boot)

Hookers and cocaine. You'll regret it the next morning, but after a while you'll deal with it and then see it as a formative life experience.

If your bass is mediocre get a bass and shit loads of strings to last the year, along with guitar strings.

Or loads of Eggs and give HowToBasic some competition.

Made 18 4" traps with $250 and some labor. I'd hit up CL for nice used instruments if you're recording outside bands that might need it. Better cans, mics, 1 or 2 good preamps. Maybe an extra pc monitor or hardware or furniture that might make your workflow or environment that much faster/comfortable? I feel like those would be good places to start for a good home upgrade that a modest budget like that can cover most of.

I'd book time with an AE whose work I like, to go through some projects, listening to before/afters etc. Don't know if this is possible...
You seem to have more than enough gear for a home studio, I would try to widen my knowledge.

I think that if it's not apparent what you should upgrade (meaning that there are no obvious "weak links" in your setup) then you should save your money until such a time arises. Don't buy gear just because you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket.

-Invest in a Money Market Mutual fund and watch your money grow.
-buy an expensive tube LDC
-Go to Atlantic City, bet on black. Always bet on black.
-Sound treatment
-GSSL buss compressor
-API 3124/Vintech 473
-Start piecing together a 500 series rack
-Take a Hawaiian vacation
-Do nothing. Rainy days happen without warning

If you don't have your eye on something, save it. Most of us are in the opposite position. Eyes on 10 things, and no money.

If I had $2500 I'd probably buy a used JCM800 or a Les Paul Traditional.

I'd seriously say save it. But that's coming from the guy who has 700 dollars to his name.

Made 18 4" traps with $250 and some labor. I'd hit up CL for nice used instruments if you're recording outside bands that might need it. Better cans, mics, 1 or 2 good preamps. Maybe an extra pc monitor or hardware or furniture that might make your workflow or environment that much faster/comfortable? I feel like those would be good places to start for a good home upgrade that a modest budget like that can cover most of.

i am definitely planning on getting a desk with some rack spaces to better organize my stuff, and treatment is at the top of my list. i am not recording any outside bands at the moment other than my friends and my own projects for practice. i am a horrible noob when it comes to acoustic treatment - can you explain what you mean by "4 inch traps"? would these just be foam etc. that you would place strategically on the walls?

p.s. to everyone saying i should save it, yeah i know that would be the smart thing to do but i have been aggressively saving any extra dollars i have over the past couple years and i think it is time for a splurge. since it is insurance money i dont really feel bad about "wasting it" on studio upgrades :heh: