Which kit would you prefer for rock/heavy

Loren Littlejohn

Lover of all boobage.
It's time to start planning for a good shell kit for my studio and I think I have it down to these 2 unless something comes up better used (wish I had $650 right now since there is a 3 piece masters on CL at the moment).

First one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...r-drive-sk-6-piece-shell-pack/365516000000000

Pros: Die cast hoops, toms are stand mounted, I kind of like the idea of a 6 piece and the diameters of the toms are perfect. Cannon size kick drum, haha.
Cons: I like maple shell drums more than birtch (which sucks because this shell pack would be no brainer for me otherwise).

Second one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drum...ce-shell-pack-with-free-8-tom/361143000001000

Pros: I like the shell wood, I guess the extra tom is cool (I don't think I would really ever use it honestly). Again the diameters of the drums are what I prefer personally.
Cons: I really hate that mounting system and if I'm going to go in a grand for a shell pack I would prefer stand mount rack toms (I like the way they resonate better).

Again I'm not set on anything at this point. I would much rather buy something used if it's not to beat (bearing edges good etc...). But I do want to get on this somewhat soon.

I'd proably go for the Gretsch. I like the slightly deeper toms and the maple. And you can still mount those on a stand dude. Just get a damn clamp to put the mount on a cymbal stand. That's what I do with my Pearls that have a kick drum mounting system. Problem solved!

Gretsch.

I actually owned one of those Catalina's years ago and it was solid (for the price).

I'm not a fan of anything tama until you get into their higher quality stuff like the starclassics...and even then...

I'd look for a used Tama Starclassic. It's a better kit than either of these, and used it would be around the same price. No reason to buy new when it's so easy to find a good used kit and save hundreds.

I personally much prefer birch to maple for metal and hard rock, so birch is actually a "pro" in my book. That said, the Gretsch kits get the job done really well for the price.

Also, I'd buy a shell pack without the snare. These snares are usually next to useless and you could put the money into something really great.

have recorded Both; and both are good; but cory has a point.

A used star classic would be mint.

Gotta say I agree with the guys saying hold out for something good on the used market. There's always deals to be had and you'll get a killer kit for the money.

Also, having a house kit is the best! I keep a freshly skinned Pearl Export in good nick around for recording and when used with a good snare it absolutely rocks. Even a modest kit like this kept in good shape when freshly skinned and tuned well beats 9/10 kits that guys walk in with.

Yeah I don't care about the snare at all. Would probably just end up selling it off honestly.

Used kit it is.

I only brought these 2 up because it's in the price area I would like to be. I like all the stock features of the first more than the second but the wood wins out for me more with the second.

I think you could find one man. I just checked craigslist and saw like 6 of them for no more than 1200, but that was in San Diego/ Los Angeles area. I'd at least watch for a month or so and see what comes up. Musicians Friend will still be there...

Used is the only way to go man, you'll literally get double the kit for your money. Just wait patiently, check ebay etc every day.

For the moment I have a Mapex M Birch that I got for £80. And you can be certain once I decide to upgrade (probably a DW/Pork Pie or something) I'll be going used again.