drumset / shell set between 1000-1500euro

xconnyx

www.iheartsound.com
May 30, 2007
germany/bielefeld
www.iheartsound.com
Hi there!

I'm searching for a new drum kit (used/new ...don't care) to use for studio and live performances. I would like to know your opinions, maybe recordings of kits, that you've had in the studio. of course tuning drums makes a big difference but the shells do to.

personally i really like most pearl drumsets, elx for example good sound/quality and cheap (500-700euro). tama is mostly ok and sonor comes into getting nice with the delite series which is a little to expensive i would say.

for drum sounds on records i really like the "digital bath" drums which are not too much edited/replaced i guess.

I've also been wondering about this a bit. I'm kinda looking for a studio kit, but I'm looking for something custom (ie. spaun, battlefield, truth, etc etc... there's a million). someone told me if you contact custom drum companies and ask them what they have sitting on the shelf, you can get good deals. they pretty much all use the same parts anyway. Keller shells and the hardware is kinda generic. I'd be happy with anything with keller maple shells and tube lugs. haha.

I have been wondering about what dimensions would work best for a huge drum sound. I'm really trying to get into micing well rather than using samples so the old school engineers will stop telling me I "emulate" rather than record because I do drum replacement and direct guitars. plus it would be MUCH more gratifying that way and there is nothing like a killer sounding recording that actually sounds 100% natural!

I have the pleasure of having this guy in my studio...

awx6pv.jpg

Forgive me for using the photo from their website. I dunno where my digital camera is at the moment. I'm currently in the process of making some samples with it. 13x6.5 keller shell dual ported, trick throw. it's got a Remo Coated Controlled Sound reverse dot on it right now.... I love those heads!

I'd go with a Tama Starclassic birch or birch/bubinga. They sound huge, have excellent hardware, and are in your budget range. Almost all of my favorite drum sounds from my studio have been with Starclassic kits, and I don't think it's a coincidence.

the snare looks pretty cool!

btw, I don't like the tama tom mounting system for some reason. but maybe it's just because they suck for rack usage but this kit i want want to build won't have a rack

and a friend called my to say that one of his buddies wants to sell a "pearl premium class" kit... he couldn't give me any more info but that his buddy sells the whole thing including hardware and cymbals. i'm going to check out the drumset today. i'm a little curious about the set but i'll see

anyone heard something about a "premium class" kit, i just know masters premium

Honestly..

The kick and toms really don't matter that much, imo. As long as you have decent drums, good new heads and good tuning, they'll sound fine.

I think Pearl Vision is the cheapest range that has decent wood (birch or maple), below that and you have.. I forget the name, starts with p I think. Same stuff Forums and Exports are made of.

Get the cheapest decent drums you can for kick/toms, and save your money for a really nice snare and really nice cymbals. You can't fake cymbals, or 'tune' them, they're either good or they're not. And snares.. well, you can tune them but you're never going to get a great sound from a lower-range snare.

edit: not endorsing Pearl; they're just what I own and so I know they're ranges. I honestly don't think the brand of the drum will make NEARLY as much a difference as the countless other things. That said, I've always had a thing for DW's or Sonor's.

the kit i got offered is a pearl masters studio birch in black. 20"/10"/12"/14" + pearl sensitone snare in bronze. sounded ok, wasn't played for 3 month and a little out of tune.

on the other hand i got an offer by drum craft, a new german brand, one of my buddies said that quality and sound is comparable to dw. maybe i can check out on of the drum craft sets in the next days.

You could also take a look at PDP drums. I believe they are making very good drums for the money as well.