Ear Training

jhrv

Mar 27, 2007
What do you think about Ears Training and what would you recomend?. I want something that can help me recognise what frecuencies i need to boost or cut when i'm equing an instrument.

One thing that never gets stated enough (possibly because it might be impossible to state it enough... I never stop saying this, though, so I'm sure it's getting annoying all the same) is that tinkering and experimenting is never a bad thing. Take a notch, boost or cut the fuck out of it, and sweep it around. Repeat. Obsess. Experiment with boosting a frequency and then cutting the frequency one octave above it (double its frequency), two octaves above it, a fifth above it, whatever. Send that notch to a new track and compress the fuck out of it. Whatever. These are very good programs, but (just as there are things that you can only learn with them) there are things that you can't learn from anything but being obsessive-compulsive and going for days without sleep, food, sex, or social contact...

...Well, maybe kick things down a notch if you must, but you get the point.

Jeff

hey guys,

I built a frequency identification ear trainer at quiztones.net which you guys might dig.

It's free, with new features coming soon, plus an iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch app.

-Dan

very nice, just spent a few minutes with it, think i'll return to it again and try to set it up as a habit.

quick question, are the questions randomized, or are they in a set order? because i got some of the same questions in a row twice. :p

quick question, are the questions randomized, or are they in a set order? because i got some of the same questions in a row twice. :p

Glad you dig.

Are your referring to the 'tones' quiz? Regardless, the questions are indeed shuffled.

I hope to get an android version developed soon after iOS release.

I'm starting with iPhone because it's what I'm most familiar with. I'm also going to be releasing the app in partnership with Audiofile Engineering. This will allow for tons of cool features. For example, you could pull songs from your iPhone's iPod library and make frequency altered quizzes out of them on the fly.

A quick update:

I just released Quiztones for Mac & updated the iOS app.

Tons of new features including over 40 frequency trainers (EQ boost & cut) and choosing source audio from your own music library.

More info @ http://quiztones.net.