Quick 'cut' question

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Tell me If I've been doing this correctly.

When I read something about eq, and somebody says 'cut' at blah blah blah Hz, what do you guys usually set your Q to? When I do a cut, or boost at a certain frequency, I typically narrow the Q a lot.. I don't know if this is correct or not. It seems to work for certain things, but I'd like to know what you guys do when you boost or cut something.

Typically I boost light with a wide Q and cut hard with a medium/narrow Q, and always try cutting ugly frequencies before boosting good ones.

Seriously guys, who gives a shit about cutting narrow and boosting wide.
As long as it sounds good do whatever you think is good.
I don't think there's a single rule on this job that works always.
For istance the same goes for eq->compression, I always do this, I don't put the eq adter the comp, but I won't tell you that it's a rule to follow, I just find it works for me, other people tell the opposite.

cheers

Yeah, that's why I said "Typically I..." and "...always try..." because more often than not, this works for me. Not always, but usually.

There isn't a typical guideline for me. I just scan with a narrow Q and huge cut/boost, and when I find what I'm looking for, I adjust the Q and gain accordingly. If the problematic/sweet stuff is spread wider, I use a wide Q. If they only affect a narrow frequency range, I use narrow Q. Simple as that, use your ears.

I find boosting with a narrow q can sound really weird if you go overboard with it. A good general rule to follow is boost wide and cut narrow. But as with any rule sometimes you have to break it. Start off getting your frequency and gain sorted and then mess with the Q after to see if wide/narrow sounds better.

I find boosting with a narrow q can sound really weird if you go overboard with it. A good general rule to follow is boost wide and cut narrow. But as with any rule sometimes you have to break it. Start off getting your frequency and gain sorted and then mess with the Q after to see if wide/narrow sounds better.

yeah that tends to be how i work. with a few exceptions