Early Opeth albums

I'm something of a casual listener of Opeth. I own Blackwater Park, Deliverance and the Ghost Reveries (I intend to get Damnation soon). I have to say that my favourite among the three is Deliverance, the sound is tighter and more complex than Blackwater Park but also has a wintery feeling to it that's missing from the polished sound of Ghost Reveries. I think Ghost Reveries is an excellent album that typically places the band miles above their peers but it's my least favourite of the three albums I own not only because of its occasional tendency to sound like Trivium but because it feels as if the band decided to regress back to the sound of Blackwater Park, instead of building on what they achieved on the Deliverance album.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, I want to buy one of Opeth's earlier albums and wonder which one you could tell me I'd probably like the most. Other extreme metal bands I like are Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Emperor and I think Deicide, Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth are poo. I know that might sound pretty scarce but metal isn't my first music.

Oh, and I might as well introduce myself. My name's Dave. I look forward to all the discussions.

Revolllution said:
I'm something of a casual listener of Opeth. I own Blackwater Park, Deliverance and the Ghost Reveries (I intend to get Damnation soon). I have to say that my favourite among the three is Deliverance, the sound is tighter and more complex than Blackwater Park but also has a wintery feeling to it that's missing from the polished sound of Ghost Reveries. I think Ghost Reveries is an excellent album that typically places the band miles above their peers but it's my least favourite of the three albums I own not only because of its occasional tendency to sound like Trivium but because it feels as if the band decided to regress back to the sound of Blackwater Park, instead of building on what they achieved on the Deliverance album.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase, I want to buy one of Opeth's earlier albums and wonder which one you could tell me I'd probably like the most. Other extreme metal bands I like are Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse and Emperor and I think Deicide, Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth are poo. I know that might sound pretty scarce but metal isn't my first music.

Oh, and I might as well introduce myself. My name's Dave. I look forward to all the discussions.

Hey Dave. Well... I could recommend nothing better than Still Life for you. In all honesty, you have to buy all their albums because they're all masterpieces, but if I had to choose one, its Still Life. Their best album.

if you like those three...then you should check out my arms your hearse and still life...if you want to hear different tastes of opeth, check out morningrise, orchid, and damnation.

I would say Morningrise, but most people seem to like Still Life and it is closer to the sound of the Opeth albums you already own than Morningrise is. I like Morningrise though. A lot of twin guitar harmonies and I think it is their most emotional album.

Thanks, I think I'll give Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse a listen first. Judging by the reviews I've read of Still Life, it sounds as if it's similar to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries in the way it goes from sounding like Morbid Angel to Emerson, Lake & Palmer and then back again in one song so I'll probably get that afterwards if I'm still interested. I'm hoping MR and MAYH will be more focused in the way Deliverance is (no disrespect to BWP or GR). I'll get Orchid last because nobody has recommended it.

Revolllution said:
Thanks, I think I'll give Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse a listen first. Judging by the reviews I've read of Still Life, it sounds as if it's similar to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries in the way it goes from sounding like Morbid Angel to Emerson, Lake & Palmer and then back again in one song so I'll probably get that afterwards if I'm still interested. I'm hoping MR and MAYH will be more focused in the way Deliverance is (no disrespect to BWP or GR). I'll get Orchid last because nobody has recommended it.

MR is not focussed at all, neither is Orchid. But, as a personal opinion, I would say you should get Orchid ASAP, because it is wonderful :)

I'd go for MAYH first though, good idea. Focussed, but not with the production to match Deliverance. Pretty cool concept too, if ya dig that kinda thing...

Revolllution said:
Yes, you are right. SL sounds very similar to BWP. I feel that BWP has the better sound of the two (all a matter of personal taste).