ears ringing

JoeVice

Jul 6, 2003
Murdock, NE
Visit site
so, i was standing outside in absolute silence...no wind, no anything...i listen to a lot of loud music, and i play a lot of loud music on my guitar (in standard tuning) i listen to a lot of rock music...which is in the key of E quite often...i have damaged my hearing enough to where i constantly have a slight ringing in my ears, which is amplified when there is absolute silence. i was listening to the note that my ears ring to, and sure enough, its an E. coincidence? i don't know. kind of an interesting observation. it is also very cold outside, and i was shivering. i noticed that my teeth rattled at a consistent tempo...i wonder of everyone has a signature shiver rate. i'd like to check it out. maybe if i find a beatiful girl who's ears ring the same note as mine and who's teeth rattle at the same tempo, i will find true love! i have never made these observations before. i'm going to start taking notice of this more often. man, music is everywhere. i was able to find inspiration in the ringing of my ears and chattering of my teeth! fuck, i need to go to sleep. i'm drunk.

Hearing a constant tone in your ears is called 'tinitus'. It's basically when you've damaged your ears to a point where you've completely destroyed all those little hairs that correspond with whatever note you're hearing.

If you're just walking out of a gig and your ears are ringing, it doesn't mean that it's definitely tinitus, but if you've had it there for years and years, then it's safe to bet that it is.

Loud music is not your friend.

is there like, any sort of like study shown that headphones can cause ear damage? I listen to music on headphones.. atleast 80% of my music listening.I dont think I listen TOO loud, atleast not all of the time. But i am slightly worried that in a few years i'll have no hearing...

Sure. Headphones can be very damaging to your hearing. The way volume works is relative to distance. When you have a speaker right next to your ear, even a very small one, lots of loud listening can damage the ear.

I haven't looked into it too much, but I recall reading some news articles warning that the "earbud" headphones in particular could lead to hearing loss.

I'm simply the type of person that when I use headphones, I can't help but listen pretty loud. It would get to the point where my ears would ring/hurt for a while after long sessions. So I've gotten used to speakers again and only listen through headphones when I'm not at home.

I've lost about 15% of my hearing from drumming in a band. I used to play the drums without earplugs (idiot!).. Now i'm pretty protective of my hearing.

It was actually as bad as about 20% but I caught on fairly quick and started using earplugs and even industrial ear-muffs, and gradually I got back about 5%.

All I have in my life is music, and without that, I don't know what i'd do, so it's very important to me now-a-days...

It's very important to everyone, but a lot of people are very ignorant about it. In particular a lot of live audio engineers... or weekend hobbyists who ride the mixers at local gigs tend to really put in some harsh frequencies and crank the living shit out of the volume. I think people who attend gigs don't really realize how much damage is being done to their ears. In an ideal world one wouldn't have to wear ear plugs to a gig.. I sure as hell hate wearing them, but in order to protect my future livelihood I have to.

I get that ringing from time to time. :lol:
I should probably wear earplugs but i never have, and I like to play (on guitar) music loud enough to feel it, and on stereo loud enough to drown out whatever noises there are around me that ruin the music. I hate those earbud phones, they always fall out and they are uncomfortable.

I find when I ride my bike or whatever and I've got my mp3 player cranking, and the outside noise around me is quite loud, I often have to turn the mp3 player up to hear the songs. Doing this however just damages my ears more because although its quieter for me (because of surrounding noise), it's actually the same as cranking the shit outta it in a quiet room :p

i gave up using headphones due to the same problem. it's really dangerous, lemme tell you. go to a doctor and he/she will tell you the same thing. there is no cure to that but only one measure to take: GIVE THOSE HEADPHONES UP. but i guess thats close to impossible for our generation...when even our name is the "ipod generation."

i listen on my headphones a few times in a month...maybe one, maybe two. and all the tinituses (tiniti? :erk: ) have gone.

I used to get ringing all the time in childhood.

Then I started lsitening to loud music and it stopped! :eek:

I need noise-cancelling headphones. I usually use them to drown out whatever my suitemates are playing. If I could combine ear-muffs and headphones, t'would be superb.

on cold days walking to school i used to wear my big large headphones, even if my cd player batterys died!

Ear muff headphones would be totally awesome. I can picture apple comming out with something like that. They would call it the I-muff or something.

Kenneth R. said:
que muff jokes :lol:

I already use mine for that purpose.

so do I. I was taling about that technology that sends out "anti-waves" to fight to the death with "shit-music-waves". er something. *goes to research.

I have the constant ringing, but now I try not to listen to music as loud and I wear earplugs to shows. My ears still ring after a show though (I mean more than normal)... is this normal, or are my earplugs not good enough?