Earthquake In Illinois!

That's cause you lived close to the ground in Japan. Those of us 9 stories up felt every little earth fart like the world was falling down. BTW, you cant tell me you haven't been secretly hoping Scott AFB would fall apart due to something like this.:)

There's no secret-and it can take everything in a 50 mile radius with it! If the earth was to swallow up Scott and all of St Louis it would be an improvement!!! But I'm much happier now.

I noted that the quoted news article on the Illinois quake was in full compliance with the Prime Earthquake Directive: "Thou art required to use the word 'temblor' in any article about an earthquake...and never, ever use it anywhere else." :lol:

People don't realize other faults exist in the US because they are not as active as, for instance, the San Andreas. We had an earthquake here (centered in Ft. Payne, Alabama) about 4-5 years ago. I slept through it, but even my mom, 130 miles SW of here felt it.

Yep, I remember that one. I was awake at the time on my computer and I heard the apartment 'settle' or shift, as if a sudden high wind had hit the building. I sensed that something odd had occurred -- I had that "all the hairs raised on my arms" feeling -- but I didn't know for sure what it was until the following day.

People don't realize other faults exist in the US because they are not as active as, for instance, the San Andreas.

Here in New Mexico, there is several faults running through the state. One is just to the east of me on the other side of the mountain, and the other to my south. Both are within 10 miles of the city. Heck, the Rio Grande River that runs right smack through the middle of the city is a rift line that occured at the same time our mountains were uplifted. The volcano's that still line our western horizon lent some help too.

Every few years, the south fault will start up for a few months. Nothing major, 3's and 4's mostly, couple of 5's, on the scale I think. Lot's of wide open desert/mesa out there anyway. When I was a kid, the east fault line let out a nice big rumble. Woke my parents up- my mom was pregnant with my sister and freaked out cause she was trying to quickly get out of bed-and could not- :lol: but I slept through it.