Edguy - Rocket Ride

The Amazer

Mar 31, 2003
Picked it up yesterday - the limited edition one with the aweschome book.

WOW.

Blown off my feet. This album is fucking insanely good.

I read all these reviews of it "they've turned poppy, this isn't Edguy" ra ra ra. The reviews especially hated the songs "Matrix" and "Trinidad (which has the catchiest chorus to have ever been written ever - lalalalaLAla!)", which I reckon are up there with the best songs on the album.

So much fun and catchiness all over the album - and yes, it has a very 80s hard rock sound about most of it - but I love it to bits.

You'll enjoy it if you're not one of those people who believe a band should stay making the music they've always made. This is hella fun and will definitely be up there in the album of the year for me at the end of the year.

Catchy as anything, yes, but I think a lot of the album is weak. Trinidad gets boring for me very quickly, as do half the other songs (e.g. out of vogue, return to the tribe, etc etc)... That's the problem I've always had with Edguy, except for Hellfire Club, which I think is a fantastic album! I don't deny - some of this album is awesome - Sacrifice, The Asylum, Wasted Time - are all first class songs. But overall, a let down for me after Hellfire Club.

I think it's great they've managed to go a slightly different direction, and still sound so much like edguy, and still sound fairly unique. I'll give the album my recommendation too, but not as strongly as cedyn ;)

Blitzkrieg said:
Hellfire Club is an awesome, awesome album, so I don't expect the newie to compare.

Try not to go into it with that mindset..

This album is purely about the fun. The song structures are tamer for the most part, the melodies beyond catchy...

In a way it reminds me of The Darkness' debut (except with a few more traditional Edguy songs) in the fact that you get into the songs straight away and it's a lot of fun.

I don't know if this album will last with me (as The Darkness' debut didn't) but I'm enjoying the ride for now, and it's a bloody good one!

MY WHAT A HEATWAVE IN TRINIDAD... lalalalalala...

an album with songs called 'Fucking With Fire (Hairforce One)' cannot in anyway be bad. Everyone should get it.

:headbang:

Blitzkrieg said:
I think the reason why I liked Hellfire Club more than any other Edguy release is because it isn't all about the fun (with only one fun song on it really), and is just awesome serious metal.

yeah i think that's why I like it, it's a little less 'goofy' feeling than most of the other edguy albums...

I heard Rocket Ride and reckon it sounded great... I think Rocket Ride, Hellfire Club and Mandrake are by FAR the best 3 Edguy albums. Rocket Ride might be my fave even from one listen just because it has the least fast double-kick driven speed metal songs coz I always skip those tracks and head for the mid-pacers.

I had/have a couple of their early (first two?) albums, and they were completely fucking aweful. Vain Glory Opera is perhaps the biggest load of shit I've ever heard.

However, my friend gave me Mandrake on tape, which is pretty rocking. I'd be interested to hear some of their more recent stuff.

Yeah the first few albums aren't great. For me Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride are the best. Mandrake isn't too bad

Gasp. Vain Glory Opera absolutely rules. I didn't think about them for a few years after that until I saw the Superheroes EP and decided to get it.

Nah it doesn't. It's one of the worst metal albums ever. Really cheesy in the worst possible way.

:)

People seem to love VAIn Glory, I think it's overrated, with the exception of a few songs. I never got into Edguy until I heard Hellfire Club. Even going back and giving the earlier stuff a listen to, it's OK material, but the last two albums are much stronger.

Hellfire Club is ridiculously good. So is Rocket Ride, and Vain Glory Opera. Overall, Edguy is awesome. I am seriously glad that Rocket Ride did not go the way of "Are you Dead Yet?".