TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Artist: Edguy
Title: Rocket Ride
Release Date: 2006
Label: Nuclear Blast

Rocket Ride is the seventh studio album from the reigning kings of bombastic German heavy metal. The album offers a wide variety of sound from your traditional fist pumping Edguy anthems to some modern edged radio friendly tunes to dare I say 80’s HAIR METAL! Before you start getting the wrong idea I will tell you right off the bat I think this is one of the best Edguy offerings to date.

The album kicks off with "Sacrifice" which is a highly motivational fist pumping Edguy anthem. This tune will definitely be a top my Ipod play lists on future visits to the gym. I think if the American public was to be exposed to a song like this via MTV or by radio they would have a messy accident because they would not know what to do. It is truly a shame this style of metal is virtually unknown here in America. If there was more bait out there I know people would bite. The title track follows this, which is a sign of things to come on the album. I hear some Skid Row/Damn Yankees going on here, even a bit of Whitesnake (think "Wings of the Storm" from Slip of the Tongue). Aside from these influences the song still has that signature Edguy feel to it which makes it a great song. The Germans waste no time getting back into the swing of things on "Wasted Time", a definite headbanger. "Out of Vogue" also at times reminds me of Royal Hunt. "Matrix", "Superheroes", and "Catch of the Century" are all interesting tunes featuring that modernized commercial feel, the latter of the three has some killer Maiden guitar harmonies half way into the song. "Return to the Tribe" is your Helloween fueled song that you usually get on every Edguy album (IE: "We Don’t Need A Hero" from the Hell fire Club album). "The Asylum" is a very powerful tune and very 80’s heavy metal influenced, it sounds like it could have been penned by Ronnie James Dio somewhere between Last in Line and Sacred Heart. "Save Me" is the most commercial moment of the album. Not a bad song but sounds like the Rocket Ride flew over an episode taping of Dawson’s Creek. "Trinidad" is another very poppy tune. I felt like I was eating a coconut on the Caribbean islands while listening to this one. "Fucking With Fire (Hair Force One)" is definitely a funny nod towards the hair bands of the 80’s. It is actually one of my favorite tunes on the album and reminds me of Hurricane, Warrant (Dog Eat Dog era), and early Great White.

Overall I am very pleased with Rocket Ride. I think it took a lot of balls for the band to release an album this varied and exploring some untouched waters and for that I am proud of them. I think they will continue to be a major force in the world of melodic heavy metal and this album proves the band show no signs of getting stale but instead have the courage to change things up a bit. They carry themselves very well and continue to amaze me with everything they do. When all is said and done and the book of heavy metal is written the name Edguy will appear along side legends such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Dio, and Motley Crue.

http://www.metalasylum.net

This is easily my favourite album released this year so far.

Trinidad is one of those songs you either love or hate and I fucking love it!

It's their worst album to date IMO. They peaked at Theater of Salvation, although Mandrake was great too, but I guess they want to move into this "AOR/Hard Rock with a German sense of humor" type direction. Blah.