Editing Problems? Overall Tightness is lacking/Trouble seeing bass transients

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
Ok. I've been using Misery Business as a reference for a while now. The tightness of that track adds so much to the production, at least to me. Well, I tried my best to edit it all. I did drums, that was easy. But I turn to bass and I am just slammed with a nasty transient-less wall of waveform. The bass is not nearly tight enough and neither are the guitars. Any tips on what you guys do for approaching editing for Guitar/Bass?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2376100/Hope For Heroes_Song 1_notTight.mp3

Does that sound weird to anyone? I just want to to groove, and I tried pocketing, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm going to take a screen shot to show you what I'm dealing with.

Cliffs:

• How do you see guitar and bass transients when slip editing?
  • What do I looking for in detecting attack?
  • Does tabbing to transient save me time, or is it worth it to just do it manually?

Screen%20shot%202011-01-07%20at%205.59.29%20PM.png

Before an edit

Screen%20shot%202011-01-07%20at%206.02.41%20PM.png

After

Those are not DI tracks, are they?

The reason you always get DI tracks are that it's pretty much impossible (or, well, hard as fuck) to edit distorted guitars without them. Even if you're happy with the sound you've got going with the mic, record DI's just so you can group the tracks together and edit using the DI.

I can't think of how to do it but I think I've thought of a sketchy work around. Get a transient designer, kill the bass by adding shit loads of attack and take down the sustain and then consolidate that and HOPEFULLY the attack will be emphasised in the waveform so it'll be easier to work with. If it you try it tell me :D

listened to the track : bass seems alright, it could be a bit tighter at times like when they're doing the palm muting and then stopping, the bass rings out a bit on some parts

I have a question regarding Tab to Transient....(sort of on topic)

Does Tab to Transient actually go to the actual next note hit? It seems to me that it will tab to the next peak, but sometimes this peak isn't the actual note being hit....or am I just missing something?

to the OP - can you SHIFT + UP/DOWN to blow up/shrink the size of the waveform and maybe that will help? I find it helps me with finding kick drum transients on fast double kick parts if I shrink the waveform down to its smallest.

Does Tab to Transient actually go to the actual next note hit? It seems to me that it will tab to the next peak, but sometimes this peak isn't the actual note being hit....or am I just missing something?

well, as far as i know it doesn't. it just jumps to the next transient based on the sensitivity setting which isn't the next note per se. if you lower the sensitivity by a considerably amount there's a higher chance you can tab from the first transient of a note to the first of the next note.

to the OP - can you SHIFT + UP/DOWN to blow up/shrink the size of the waveform and maybe that will help? I find it helps me with finding kick drum transients on fast double kick parts if I shrink the waveform down to its smallest.

Already do that frequently... The bass's sustain is as big as the attack...