Editing Approach

KKuff

May 5, 2009
West Palm Beach, FL
I'm just curious to see what everyone's different approaches to editing are. Do you guys just listen to the song and only fix what's obvious? Or do you you go through each track one by one and fix every little thing? Or maybe somewhere in between? And also does your approach change depending on which instrument/vocal tracks (ex. rhythm guitar vs. lead vox, or drums vs. bass) you are editing?

drums ill edit every single note by hand to make sure its exactly where it should be

bass ill edit to be in time with drums

rhythm guitars ill edit anything that you can hear is out (after it has been tracked well, of course :))

lead guitars ill usually fit to the backing

acoustics ill usually fix

vocals ill usually fix

depends on the genre and budget

he said it

if a band comes to me with a few bucks in hand asking for a demo...like always seems to be the case...i keep editing to a minimal

if they say they want a true, quality, production that they plan to release/sell, and they want shit perfect, and have the $$ to make it worth my time, i'll make sure everything's tracked to a proper tempo map/click and go through every track measure by measure

if there is no budget for pocketing, most of the times i will not do the job.
thats because : editing has become AS important to a pro sounding
result AS the mixing (eq/compression/etc).

if the song is not working musically - no mixing engineer in this world will help.

people will say : this mix doesnt work... but most of the times its bad to no editing at all.

i think we have to let our clients know, that a major label production sounds
larger than life because of the editing process. (or great musicians , hehe)

so to answer the question :

i go through every syllable, every note on every instrument,
- starting with the drums - quantizing to click
- next i will quantize / autotune the bass (not with autotune tho, but with vari audio)
- next will be guitars, editing timing (when melodyne DNA is out i will also fix intonation!!) - fixing transitions between chords, because many guitarplayers have the problem, that they "leave" the last note of a chord too early, which results into a short pause / w scratch sound between 2 chords
- most of the time tho goes for the vocals,
correcting timing, tuning, putting vocals "into the groove"