Question on guitar's TIMING editing. (not a tone question)

Jun 22, 2009
St. Pete, Florida
When you edit guitars, how much do you ACTUALLY edit them?

and what's the best method for editing them?

Do you get down to each note, and make sure it's perfect, or are you just like "fuck it" and make sure the phrase is on timing for the most part?

well, I knew someone was going to do the whole "Play tight" thing, which is clearly the best thing to do.

but there's a lot of bands out there that just can't play their own songs, but they're still paying you, so you gotta work with what you're given.

Don't edit guitars, just track them in tiny sections if the guys aren't tight. It's hard to pull off any more than really minor editing. If they make a mistake, punch in that section. Even if you end up recording one note at a time and basically programming them together, it'll sound better than trying to edit them...

If I have DIs I'll usually pocket the guitars, especially on breakdowns or other machine-like riffs like that.

Don't edit guitars, just track them in tiny sections if the guys aren't tight. It's hard to pull off any more than really minor editing. If they make a mistake, punch in that section. Even if you end up recording one note at a time and basically programming them together, it'll sound better than trying to edit them...

I guess it depends on the player but in my experience it's been the opposite. I know that with my guitar playing it sounds a lot more transparent to just give it a little nudge here and there rather than doing punch ins. Punching in every note especially sounds way more unnatural/fake than editing to me. Maybe if the guitar player was really bad though? :confused:

Be smart about it, don't edit EVERY single note on your guitar tracks. Instead, go to the places where the mess-up is noticeable and slip edit/flex the audio. BUT, when doing so make lots of cuts in your regions, so what you flex won't move the other audio.