Question for Slip editing experts :)

Carlxapm

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2009
D-town, Quebec
First, I wanna thanks 006 and specially JeffTD for his contribution for answering my question. thanks a lot.

so now for the question: I know it is way better to record drums THAN, slip edit it and next, record the rest. make sense.

What if the band only have, let's say 2 or 3 days advailable and they wanna track everything for those dates. so obviously, you need to track everything down BEFORE quantizing. what do you guys do?

thanks

carl

I actually did this with a band.. It's a pain in the ass!

I had to slip edit drums then guitars then bass in a night and I pretty much stayed up all night. What really sucks is if the drummer skipped ahead a beat without knowing during the tracking process. If you do it step by step though, it all works out and sounds good.. It just takes a long time.

Out of those 2-3 days, spend 1-2 on drums (get it right!). After that's done, you can have the other dudes come in individually and track their respective parts. Bass doesn't take too long, Vocals might take a while if you do lots of doubling and harmonies. Guitars will be the most time consuming after drums if you want to spend the time to setup good sounds. If you reamp, that makes the guitar tracking even faster since you can audition amps on your own time...

I really fucking hate when bands try to rush this process - I hate tracking to shit takes and unedited messes, as I feel it really messes with the performers and subconsciously holds them to a lower standard so the rest is sloppy. It's weird - there's a shit ton of little things that tweak with performers that you'll come across.

On the rare occasions that I do have to track all at once... crank the click, set it to 16ths or 8ths depending on the tempo, and hold them to it religiously.

At the end, be prepared to edit more than usual, or for longer than usual. Be sure to charge accordingly, as well!