Ed's Bass Gear/Acquaintance cymbal work

jyng

Sep 30, 2002
www.mwis.net
Hi Ed,

Just curious what basses, amps, and effects you've used while recording on each Enchant album? If I'm correct, I don't think you played on 'Break' but you did play on 'Paint the Picture' on Juggling 9...

I think you're an excellent bass player and have always liked your bass tone.

-------------

I was also curious how the heck did Paul play the chorus in Acquaintance?? I can't figure out if he's using one hand while playing the ride while the other hand is playing the fast paced hi-hat or is he using both hands to play the hi-hat while quickly throwing in the ride (and snare)?

Thanks.

Jay

Acquaintance, pfft. Even though it is a grand song (one of the best), 'Mettle Men' has Paul riding the cymbals like there's no tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Mettle Men!

Still, IMHO, the best is Richard Christy (of DEATH/CONTROL DENIED fame) ... ferocious thundering drummer
:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Alberik said:
Acquaintance, pfft. Even though it is a grand song (one of the best), 'Mettle Men' has Paul riding the cymbals like there's no tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Mettle Men!

Still, IMHO, the best is Richard Christy (of DEATH/CONTROL DENIED fame) ... ferocious thundering drummer
:OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG: :OMG:

Yes, I agree, Mettle Men has some awesome cymbal work too. I also like the cymbal work in 'Nighttime Sky' (which has some cymbal work in the middle of the song that sounds similar to what Paul's doing in 'Acquaintance') and what Sean does in 'My Everafter'. Enchant is definitely blessed with very talented musicians.

I've always enjoyed drummers like this who can throw in things that sound impossible to do. Some other names who come to mind are Mark Zonder, David Husvik, and of course Neil Peart.

JayThank you very much for the compliments and the question. I really appreciate it!Hey I have used a number of basses on our disc's. I mostly go direct when recording but we have tried a variety of set-ups in the studio, including running through mic-pre amps and mic'ing cabs etc. My main bass is my Kubicki Factor w/a drop d tuner, I also play a Fender Jazz artist series bass and a Washburn Status. I had a Yamaha BB2000 that I used on BPOTW and I Ric 4003 and various other 4 and 5 sting Jazz Basses. On Tug of War we went direct with my Kubicki, Jazz and Status basses. I only used the Washburn in slap parts of Hold the Wind. I used the Jazz for all the more gritty rock parts. I used it a lot more this time it has a really great sound and records really well. I use the Kubicki for all the slap, and tap parts and for more of a smoother sound. I used the Factor on Sinking Sand, See No Evil, Living in a Movie and various other parts, I used the Jazz for the rest of the disc.I have used the Factor bass for most of the discs in the past but we got it to record better on this one than any other disc previous. I put some Rotosound strings on it this time for more grit as well. I used that bass for the majority of Blink of an Eye as well, except for Seeds of Hate and Despicable and some other parts here and there. I used Doug's standard Jazz for Invisible, he used that one on Break and most of Juggling it has a great sound. And you are correct I only appeared on Paint the Picture from those two because I rejoined the band when the disc was just about done? I used the WB Status for that one and it sounded really great. I went direct for most of these songs as well but I think we used a mic pre in parts as well? I had a Five String Fender Jazz Deluxe I used on Time Lost for a majority of that one, the more progressive pieces like Interact and Meddle Man and the Factor for the rest. I used my Washburn Status again on Hostile World tuned in D from Wounded and the Factor for most of the rest of that one. I used a Tobias five string Fretless in Broken as well.I used a Yamaha BB2000 for BPOTW run through a Trace Elliot AH500 which was mic'ed in another room. The bass actually recorded well and sounded great but I was squashed on that disc completely in the mix! You can barely hear the bass on that one, which really was a huge disappointment. The drums are very loud on that disc especially the amazing cymbal work your referring too! I think it is great too…………………………………… but way too loud in the mix! It is all about balance when it comes to all of that!Hope this is a detailed enough answer to a cool post! Thanks again

Well, I didn´t ask the initial question, but your answer is really interesting to me, Ed! Thanks! :) (I will pick up the bass as well in the near future and you´re probably the bassist whose styles amazed me the most. God, how sleazy does that sound? ;))
By the way: I like the bass on Blueprint. "Catharsis", "Oasis", "East of Eden" or "Enchanted" has great bass stuff going on if you ask me. :)

jyng said:
Yes, I agree, Mettle Men has some awesome cymbal work too. I also like the cymbal work in 'Nighttime Sky' (which has some cymbal work in the middle of the song that sounds similar to what Paul's doing in 'Acquaintance') and what Sean does in 'My Everafter'. Enchant is definitely blessed with very talented musicians.

I've always enjoyed drummers like this who can throw in things that sound impossible to do. Some other names who come to mind are Mark Zonder, David Husvik, and of course Neil Peart.

Yes... Sean's drumming on "My Everafter" is beautiful. Mark Zonder rules.

ebass said:
JayThank you very much for the compliments and the question. I really appreciate it!Hey I have used a number of basses on our disc's...

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for this awesome detail. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer questions on this sight.

I found it very interesting to see that you played a Tobias on 'Broken'. Out of all the basses I've played, I must say that Tobias has the best feel for me.

If it's okay to ask, did you use Avalon, Demeter, SansAmp products for pre-amps?

It's so nice to hear such refreshing music from talented musicians. Keep up the great work! :)

Thanks again for your reply.

Jay

Jay

You are very welcome. Anytime. And thanks again for asking.

Hey I think it was an Avalon pre. I think we have used a few others as well. I want to check out a Sans Amp as well and I am going with some Line 6 stuff as well soon I think, as soon as the new one is out :)

Regarding Paul's awesome drumming in Acquaintance, they're mostly double strokes on the hi hat, which combined with the upbeat strokes played on the ride, give a feeling of fluidity that is generally a trademark of paul's drumming, at least on aBotW. He plays with the hihat/ride alternation concept a lot on that album, I personally find that very cool :)

daydreamer said:
Regarding Paul's awesome drumming in Acquaintance, they're mostly double strokes on the hi hat, which co5{beat strokes played on the ride, give a feeling of fluidity that is generally a trademark of paul's drumming, at least on aBotW. He plays with the hihat/ride alternation concept a lot on that album, I personally find that very cool :)

Hi Daydreamer,

Thanks very much for your reply. I find it amazing how drummers can do stuff like this. I love the technicality of it along with how smooth it's played. I appreciate you taking the time to answer this question for me.

-----

Quote from ebass:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Jay

You are very welcome. Anytime. And thanks again for asking.

Hey I think it was an Avalon pre. I think we have used a few others as well. I want to check out a Sans Amp as well and I am going with some Line 6 stuff as well soon I think, as soon as the new one is out
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much once again for your reply. I've heard a lot of people say great things about Avalon. I think SansAmp preamps are great for live shows but I've always had problems with them being way too noisy in the studio (at least with the 'hiss' noise they give off). I'd like to try out an Avalon someday.

Thanks again Ed, and keep up the excellent and kick ass bass playing! :)

Jay