Akerfeldt's bass work

Travis said:
From what I've read, I understand that Mike did the bass on My Arms, Your Hearse. Does anyone know if he used his fingers as opposed to using a pick?

A simple question, I know, but it seems like 99% of the guitar players out there that play bass as a secondary instrument just use a pick since they already do on guitar. It sounds to me like he's using his fingers, in which case I would be very impressed. I'm curious.
-Travis

Mmm... Not really. There are alot of pure bass players out there. I happen
to know at least two... Me myself play bass as a secondary instrument though.
I use pick since I'm no good with fingers... I practice with fingers though.

ANyway... what I wanted to say is that in metal and hard rock you get heard
better when using a pick... Mendez is kinda unique i guesss, using fingers
in metal music! :)

ALL HAIL MENDEZ !

I like bass players who use fingers primarily but occassionally use a pick for a different sound.

As for the bass on MAYH, I believe it was played with a pick. It doesn't have the same punch as the bass on the other albums, and seems fairly lower in the mix (or perhaps it's because the bass follows the guitar more closely on this album than on any other).

Didn't the guy who played on Orchid and Morningrise use a 6 string? I know that Akerfeldt used a 5 string on MAYH, but I don't recall the low B string ever being used...

why would it surprise you that mikael uses his fingers? hes uses them alot on acoustic and sometimes elctric, so whats the problem?

A. Iverson said:
why would it surprise you that mikael uses his fingers? hes uses them alot on acoustic and sometimes elctric, so whats the problem?

It would just be a little different to me, since like I said, most guitar players I've seen who pick up a bass just use a pick since that's what they already do, I haven't seen many guitar players out there use their fingers and be good with them.

Anyways, after listening to MAYH a second time through, I came to the conclusion he was using a pick.

First Post !

I'm pretty sure he use his fingers, the sound is obiously brighter so u notice very easy.

Cheers from Argentina