mayh review from progarchives.com

metal_wrath said:
I read in a review where they said that the bass from Martin Mendez is not as good in MAYH. :confused:
Then the reviewer simply didnt know Mike was on bass.

I have a hard time agreeing with the review because MAYH is one of my favourite Opeth albums.

Larsson said:
Then the reviewer simply didnt know Mike was on bass.

I have a hard time agreeing with the review because MAYH is one of my favourite Opeth albums.
I have posted the link.

Some reviewers need to read the bands biography or something before writing this stuff.

Made me laugh when he said;

"Akerfeldt's guitar playing seems somewhat inexperienced. His solos do not have the progression he showcases on later albums. Akerfeldt sounds like he is trying to do too much too early in his solos on this album. His composing didn't meet the previous (Morningrise) or future (Still Life) level."

So lemme get this straight. His guitar playing is "experienced" on the earlier morningrise album and then on MAYH, he all of a sudden becomes "inexperienced" and then suddenly learns to be "experienced" once again for still life.

How is that possible, exactly????

I agree with parts of it, the parts that say its not as good as morningrise but builds the listeners perfectly into still life which is opeth's peak.

affinityband said:
It got things backwards. For example he said the sound was class.....and the songs April Ethereal and Amen Corner arent solid songs. Good one son.
Why can't a reviewer just say he doesn't like a particular song? It's his opinion. So you love "Amen Corner". I do too. But so many others don't. Get over it. It's a great review. Well put. Not that I agree with all of it, but I'm sure more than half of the posters on this forum wouldn't even be able to write a coherent paragraph, let alone a review of an Opeth album.

It's just hilarious how the reviewer thinks the production is good, when Mike, and Peter in a interview that took place 2 days ago, said the production on MAYH was horrible.

Bashing Mike's guitar playing on this album is ridiculous...
And bashing April is beyond retarded.

Reviewers like this should be creating hype for Pink's new album, not reviewing serious albums.

blimey said:
It's just hilarious how the reviewer thinks the production is good, when Mike, and Peter in a interview that took place 2 days ago, said the production on MAYH was horrible.

Bashing Mike's guitar playing on this album is ridiculous...
And bashing April is beyond retarded.

Reviewers like this should be creating hype for Pink's new album, not reviewing serious albums.

he just stated the way that he felt about it. and, mike and peter's opinion of the production isn't universal....nor is anyone's.

but, based on what i feel about mayh...this guy is musically fucking blind. i'm with you on that issue. what do i prove though by dedicating an entire thread to cementing where i stand with my arms your hearse...by bashing some other guy's opinion of it?

I'm not the biggest fan of MAYH, it's probably my least favorite Opeth album (still great of course) but the review was badly written, not very in-depth at all and sometimes just downright nonsense (the production is "class?" What? the production is terrible)

eh, i thought that it was a well written review. the guy didn't go off on a bashing rant, like a lot of idiots do...he didn't bash the supposed "tasteless mindset" that is required to enjoy it. he only expressed his mindset. the only thing that we can do in response to this review is to try understanding where he is coming from. like...

"Akerfeldt's guitar playing seems somewhat inexperienced. His solos do not have the progression he showcases on later albums. Akerfeldt sounds like he is trying to do too much too early in his solos on this album. His composing didn't meet the previous (Morningrise) or future (Still Life) level."

well, mayh was a major style change. it was a change in direction...not only that, but they obtained the martins. its possible that the reviewer senses change in a way that he doesn't like. but, he definetely likes where they picked it up again on still life...which was the next album of opeth's new direction.

batmura said:
Why can't a reviewer just say he doesn't like a particular song? It's his opinion. So you love "Amen Corner". I do too. But so many others don't. Get over it. It's a great review. Well put. Not that I agree with all of it, but I'm sure more than half of the posters on this forum wouldn't even be able to write a coherent paragraph, let alone a review of an Opeth album.

Alright calm down love. Anyone that says the sound is class on MAYH has no clue what they are talking about. Thats not even an opinion or at least it shouldnt be. Its a mushy sound so it is most definatley not classy. As for the Amen Corner and So On, that was merely a reference to me saying that he had things the wrong way round. Songs were bad, sound was class. I think that is the most stupid point you ever make when reviewing MAYH.

affinityband said:
Alright calm down love. Anyone that says the sound is class on MAYH has no clue what they are talking about. Thats not even an opinion or at least it shouldnt be. Its a mushy sound so it is most definatley not classy. As for the Amen Corner and So On, that was merely a reference to me saying that he had things the wrong way round. Songs were bad, sound was class. I think that is the most stupid point you ever make when reviewing MAYH.

no man, they do have a clue what they are talking about, because thats how they feel about it. i fucking love the production on mayh. now, as far as sound being class and songs being bad. he was refering to the song writing and the production. those are two different things. you obviously don't like the production. does that mean that you hate the songs too?

ITT people have different opinions.

There's nothing wrong with his opinions on the music (except where they're straight up wrong, such as saying the production is good, but opinions on the music are totally subjective). The only criticism I can have is that the review isn't that well written or deep. Not everyone loves everything Opeth has ever done, people.