What Is It About MAYH?

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
...that I can't stop playing that cd. I have all of Opeth's cds, but I find myself mostly listening to MAYH for long stretches.

I think I know what it is about that cd...what does it for me and why I think it is not only Opeth's best by far, but one of the greatest cds ever.

1. Each song is fucking good, there is not one that I ever skip.
2. Each song has something unique about it, but at the same time, they all tie together perfectly.
3. Each song has what I call a "hook" that makes it unforgettable, especially at the beginnings of mostly each one. For example, the 1:00 minute mark of Karma.
4. Although this is probably their heaviest cd, to me it is one of their most melodic.
5. The words, excellent lyrics.

My Arms, Your Hearse, Opeth at their very best.

The beginning could be better, no opening beats Advent.
As for the rest, as strong as the other Opeth albums...

Yup the 3 powerchords of April Ethereal don't quite match the beginning of Advent... but aside from that MAYH is an awesome album, no doubt... it was kind of in the middle between their old and new sound...

Originally posted by Johan
The beginning could be better, no opening beats Advent.
As for the rest, as strong as the other Opeth albums...

I could not agree less.I mean, for me, it's that very beginning that redifine what is all about...

I totally agree... MAYH is a great album, ma favorite Opeth just after Still Life... And the beginning is totally amazing, the little intro is perfect, and 'April Ethereal' which follows is my favorite song EVER !!! ;)
Don't know what to say about it, it's so great... :cool: