mayh review from progarchives.com

he doesnt know what he's talking about. MAYH is perhaps, all in all, the best Opeth LP so far, and in time might come to be seen to express everything that Opeth can express.

I didn't bother reading all of that. I just skipped to the last sentence and found that I apparently hadn't missed much. Anyone who only gives MAYH 3 stars is an idiot.

I agree with the review somewhat... MAYH has some of my favorite Opeth songs, such as "When", but it is not their best effort on the whole. Still, the album deserves much better than a 3/5.

As for Mikael's guitar-playing being inexperienced, that is completely untrue... his playing has always been great. I mean, listen to Orchid, and TRY to say that his playing is bad...it's impossible. :)

As for Morningrise being better than MAYH, I strongly disagree...

JoeVice said:
no man, they do have a clue what they are talking about, because thats how they feel about it. i fucking love the production on mayh. now, as far as sound being class and songs being bad. he was refering to the song writing and the production. those are two different things. you obviously don't like the production. does that mean that you hate the songs too?

No actually i love that album most, out of all of them. The sound i like, it fits the album perfectly. But it is definatley not a class sound or even a good sound. Its mushy. But i think that sort of gives the album charm. If thats what the reviewer meant, by all means ill take what i said back but seeing as i assumed he was talking about it from a technical standpoint he is so wrong as it is not class (thus making the non-strong tracks comment slightly stupid as seemed he had no idea what he was talking about, with the sloppyness of Mikes playing...nice one, its probably the mushy sound!). The songs are amazing as a whole and i love each and every bit. What i was saying was he got things the wrong way round. The songs are class, the sound is not.

funny...I find the clean vocals on MAYH to be the second worst akerfeldt has ever put out...orchid is the only album i consider lesser than MAYH in that respect...everything is so monotone on mayh, its almost emotionless...whereas morningrise had a decent clean vocal effort, but obviously nothing compared to akerfeldts range nowadays...

and he picked when of all songs to show his improvement...when it is one of the poorer clean efforts on the album.

the line (im at a loss for which song) 'you have nothing more to find, you have nothing more to lose) and that little section are probably the best clean vocals on the album...

i really dont think the clean vocals in when are that great...like i said, theyre very monotone.

i love the album, but the clean vocals just dont get me like they usually do.

""Akerfeldt's guitar playing seems somewhat inexperienced. His solos do not have the progression he showcases on later albums. Akerfeldt sounds like he is trying to do too much too early in his solos on this album. His composing didn't meet the previous (Morningrise)"

What.... morningrise showcases nothing interesting solo wise. My Arms, Your Hearse actually has great solos.

I'd love to see all these bitches complaining about the review writing their *own* MAYH reviews. I bet they won't go past the introductory paragraph. It's so easy to sit back and criticise something DONE, without you having to do anything. Some of you guys are truly lame.

Seriously, here's the deal. Come up with your OWN cool MAYH reviews and I'll gladly read them for you.

Anyone can be a reviewer. Stop acting as if it's some unique gift that was bestowed upon you or something. There's still a difference between writing good reviews (about 1% of all reviewers in existance) and bad reviews (the rest). This one belongs in the latter category.

CAIRATH said:
Anyone can be a reviewer. Stop acting as if it's some unique gift that was bestowed upon you or something. There's still a difference between writing good reviews (about 1% of all reviewers in existance) and bad reviews (the rest). This one belongs in the latter category.
Then write your MAYH review for us to see. Just don't get offended if people rip you a new one, for your opinions.

CAIRATH said:
How about I don't and we pretend I did?
You see. Obviously everyone *can't* be a reviewer. At least everyone except You.

By your dumb analogy, everyone can be a writer, musician, teacher, and lawyer.

C'mon - if you have the balls, write a MAYH review for our consideration. If you can get past the first paragraph, maybe that'll teach you to respect others' opinions and respect their abilities to write cohesive sentences.

I stand by my first statement. More than half of this board wouldn't even be able to write a good analysis of a single track, let alone a full album.

Being a reviewer is a matter of writing down your opinion on something. Everyone can do that, as I said before. Not everyone can do it well, as I also said before. So you're wrong. And yes, anyone can be a writer and a musician, as well as a painter and any other creative profession that doesn't require any certification (so no, not anyone can be a teacher or a lawyer). Whether you can be one of those things and actually be a good or successful one is an entirely different matter. I can go out and buy some canvasses and paint and just sit around painting stuff and tell people I am a painter. Who's going to argue? I paint things! Sure everyone may think my paintings are rubbish, but I still am a painter.

I can write a review. I just don't want to. As for writing cohesive sentences, I think I belong to the minority of this board who actually puts enough effort into their posts to make them vaguely coherent and grammatically correct with proper punctuation.

ps- I never made an analogy in any of my posts in this thread. Let alone a dumb one.

Yes - we're still waiting for your review so we can flesh your opinions out. But we all know it'll never come. You obviously belong to the big community of people that love criticising others' work, rather than creating their own.

Nice way to bypass everything I wrote (in other words you acknowledge that your previous post made no sense and I am right). And yes, we all know it'll never come because I just said so.

For someone acting so high and mighty for being a 'reviewer' you sure seem to have trouble with reading comprehension.

I create things. They just don't happen to be reviews. By your logic no one would be allowed to criticize anything unless they can do it better themselves. So I guess you've never criticized any movies, any CDs with musicians that can play much better than you can (if you can play at all), books or anything else really. Afterall, you're not allowed to ciritcize something until you've first proven that you can do it better.

Right?