How come Akerfledt never talks about his lyrics?

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
Lyrically, Opeth are one of the greatest bands in existance (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a blind Opeth fanboy.) Akerfeldt's lyrics are beautiful, and genius. The "Still Life" album was incredible. "Morningrise" was simply breathtaking. "Blackwater Park" waw sensational. "Orchid" was great, and "My Arms, Your Hearse" was nothing short of brilliant.

But, in interviews, and such, Akerfeldt seems to dodge questions about his lyrics. I wonder why this is, because I'd LOVE to gain some insight into some of the deeper meanings of some of his poetry, and his process for coming up with it.

Why do you guys think he shys away from questions about Opeth's lyrics, and do you know of any quotes he has about them? Thanks.

maybe they are very personal to him, or he wants listeners to relate the lyrics to themselves. that way, the listener can gain a lot more from the lyrics.

Here's an excerpt from my interview with Mikael. Hopefully it will provide some insight into the lyrics. Complete interview may be read at http://www.geocities.com/chaoticcrit/opethbwp.html.

Blatant plug: new edition of Chaotic Critiques email newsletter coming out in about a week. To subscribe, just send an email to ChaoticCritiques-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Lots of reviews, some cool interviews, news, etc. etc.

====

Tate: While Blackwater Park does not seem to be a concept album in the way that your last two albums were, there are some themes running through the music, the lyrics, and the cover - what would you identify as some of the main concepts running through the album?

Mikael: I always tend to write about death, because that is my favorite subject and it is so wide. You can write so many different things about it. This time there are some songs which deal with the subject, but also stuff that is kind of strange for being me. I've never kept it really personal before. This is the first time that the lyrics have come out really personal. And that kind of ended up being almost sick and twisted. I found myself lately being more secluded from society, and people in general. I have found myself despising people. I don't like...I have so many suspicions about people, I think that they always have bad intentions. And so often I am proved to be right. My intuition is sharp, very sharp - or I like to think that it is, anyway. I can spot a junkie or a problem-maker from miles away. And I always end up getting in contact with them. It's like I'm a magnet for junkies and for psychos. After a long time of being exposed to strange and idiot people, you get these kinds of feelings inside. And in a way I was lucky to have these feelings, because I was supposed to write lyrics and all of that came out. When I read them afterwards, of course I always spice them up a little bit, to make it more twisted. But when I read it afterwards, even though it was so twisted and sick at times, I could still totally relate to it. And that felt pretty strange, because I'm a very social guy and I'm mostly in a happy state and not hard to get along with, but it's just something that I have got inside. And I think that many people have got it inside - everything that I have talked to and explained this, it's like, 'yes, I have the same feeling.' And it's strange, but after a while, when you get exposed to strange things and strange people, you start to develop some kind of defense inside. And it just keeps me secluded from everything. I don't answer the phones anymore, I don't open the door, I avoid people.

Read the interviews here: http://lotfp.cjb.net

He actually talks about the meaning of a couple albums there, including Morningrise. I think, anyway. Either way, they're good to read.

Edit: Wait, I found the exact part.

http://www.mindspring.com/~raggije/interviews/OPETH03-1999.htm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Conceptually, can you describe for us the essence of each album?

I have to admit that some moments on Orchid confuses me totally. Lyricwise, I just wrote without giving a simple thought on what came out. But you could say it’s more or less about being a servant to powers beyond the reach of humans. Not necessary satanic, but maybe close. The title suggests beauty mixed with darkness, thus the pink orchid with the black background. That’s somewhat the essence of our music. With Morningrise I was in a depressed state actually, and the lyrics came out the way they did. My grandfather had died, and The Night and the Silent Water was dedicated to his memory. To Bid You Farewell was written after I broke up with my girlfriend after 3 years. She fucked another guy and it made me very angry and depressed, and inspired to do something about it. The remaining part was about some reflections of the afterlife if it exists. I simply wrote about what I thought would happen after death, this goes mostly for Advent. Black Rose is a track that we first wrote back in 1991, and I’m very pleased by having it on an album, finally. It’s a short story touching the same themes as I fully wrote about on MAYH. Nectar is about nightmares, can you believe? The latest album is my first concept album, of which I am truly satisfied. It’s basically about dying and becoming a ghost or spirit trapped in the form of mist on earth, and being confronted with the reactions of those being close. It reaches throughout one earthly year, and during this time, the character tries to affect people and subjects, but without much success. It results only in the character scaring his loved ones to death, thus he plunges into a wicked state of mind, and wants to bring his beloved with him to the other side. Once confronted with this impossible task, the mood builds into terror (Demon of the Fall), but soon goes into depression after realising the way it has to be (Credence). However, Karma and Epilogue is telling the final rest, the ghost being at peace and finally being able to cross the line to the other side. The subject chosen can maybe be looked upon as naive, but I think death is a great subject to write about as nobody can tell you that you’re wrong. You can make up own stories on what you think happens.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There it is.

He told me that he does them all last minute. Two of the songs on BWP (though I forget which ones) were made from one set of lyrics that Mikeal just chopped in half. he says they don't mean anything...

Glad to help.

I think BWP and Orchid are the only albums with the "meaningless song" thing, where the lyrics are meant more to create vague imagery and sound good. However, without much thought, you can make out what they're about.

Well Mikael has elaborated a little bit about the concept albums, but for the most part he wants the fans to interpret the story their own way... but obviously (Hondo's post) he gave a run-down of the MAYH theme.

Poets seldom reveal their true meaning. They'd write an autobiography instead of poetry if they wanted it to be obvious. Also there's the personal iterpretation so you can mroe easily share in his emotions.

This post was brought to you by a wannabe poet.

It seems to me that part of genius is not being able to know where something comes from...

Yeah, that statement was pretty damn vague too. Genius, no? ;) (Joking aside, I feel it's quite true.)

Mikael's lyrics are certainly poetic. I agree with Hywel when that makes it more likely for him not to try to explain it.

Speaking as a poet myself, I generally do not explain the meaning of the poems I show out as well. The way the poetry is set up, it's made for there to be some definite ideas and some more bendable thoughts... things for the reader to interpret for his own. The problem with poetry is when people truly do write about no ideas at all, and then end up only with flaccid ideas.

:lol:

Well the nature of poetry isn't very direct. Even if a song or album have a definate concept, certain parts of the lyrics can be interpreted in different ways. I think Mikael always tries to leave room or space for interpretation by the fans, even if the song does have a direct meaning... it makes things more interesting to us.

Me? I've been working so much that time at my computer tends to be answering an ICQ that's been waiting for 2 days.. I finally have a little more slack schedule, and whenever I have the time, I like to come here :D

how's by you? ;)

(and it's good to be back! :D)