lyrics

Jan 3, 2003
Sydney
hey just a quick question thats been bothering me...
ive heard a lot of you guys pay out Opeth lyrics, aggaloch lyrics and the like in other threads...
now i know mike is a theosaurus whoar with his lyrics but i still think they're awesome, especially songs like to bod you farewell and leper affinity, etc
and with agalloch i really really enjoy their lyrics......
anyways my 2 questions is 1) what do u guys think of novembre lyrics?
and 2) if u guys think opeth/agalloch/etc lyrics are bad then can u post me the names or lyrics of some bands u think have good lyrics just out of boredom and curiosity...
thanx :)

*whore*.
anyway, i always thought Rush lyrics were good. I dunno about any metal lyrics though. some of that black metal stuff is pretty damn funny. perhaps they are good in that respect? like, say, a horror movie that's good because it's so dumb? i have no idea. stops posting.

Well i dont really know Novembre, and actually quite like alot of Opeth lyrics - Mikael has a nice direct yet obscure phrasing. Some people just hate having to think to understand lyrics.
But heres a few songs i think have very good lyrics (for different reasons):
Yes - Close to the Edge (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/y/yes/148493.html)
Anathema - Panic (http://www.lyricsdownload.com/anathema-panic-lyrics.html)
King Crimson - Epitaph (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/king-crimson/78588.html)
Dillinger Escape Plan - Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants (http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/d/dillingerescapeplan22906/settingfiretosleepinggiants893170.html)

Looking for a Job said:
so what makes lyrics good :erk:
you KNOW the answer to this question is highly subjective and is going to vary from person to person.

that said, for me good lyrics complement the music they go with and convey the emotions they're meant to without becoming maudlin or trite. for example, if the lyrics are rhymed and they rhyme using the same word twice in a row--that really annoys me. fortunately metal doesn't generally have this problem. it's something I mostly notice with "artists" like avril lavigne, maybe because the target audience probably doesn't care that much about the cadence of the lyrics anyway. as far as I'm concerned the lyrics should flow naturally and not sound awkward, as though the person who wrote them had to force a certain part or verse to fit in with the rest. basically, I apply most of the same criteria to lyrics that I do to poetry, because to me most lyrics are sung poetry. unless they're bad, or rap, and then they aren't poetry to me. correct language usage is also important. however, instances like mike's "you will fear of me" don't bother me simply because I really can't understand what he's saying unless I have the lyrics there in front of me while listening to him, and I usually don't.

Fine. Whatever. I'm not going to argue the finer points of the English language with you, Trey, but I challenge you to show me another written instance of someone saying they will "fear of" something. There's a reason why Googling "you'll fear of" (with quotes) returns only Opeth lyrics sites in the results.

Note the date and time, as this is a historical moment. For once I actually agree with something said by Profanity.

You will fear me.
You will be afraid of me.

The meaning is the same, and either is correct alone. Mikael seems to have attempted to use both at once, and it doesn't work that way.

The only way you can say "fear of" is when you say something like "I have a fear of heights." But fear is then being used as a noun, not a verb.

NeverIsForever said:
Note the date and time, as this is a historical moment. For once I actually agree with something said by Profanity.

You will fear me.
You will be afraid of me.

The meaning is the same, and either is correct alone. Mikael seems to have attempted to use both at once, and it doesn't work that way.

The only way you can say "fear of" is when you say something like "I have a fear of heights." But fear is then being used as a noun, not a verb.

And if he had said "If you bear with me, you will be afraid of me", he'd sound like a retard. It sounds alright, and you know what he was going for. If worst comes to worst he can always claim the second language excuse, even though Opeth's lyrics have correct grammar more often than a good portion of the American bands out there.

I like his lyrics. I guess you have to have the same English classes as Mike to get the gist of it. The English we learn back in Sweden is so totally different than what im learning in America. It's almost different languages.

here in the netherlands there is something called "dichterlijke vrijheid" - the freedom of a poet. lets just say mikael used it there ;)

Wow, only two of us have actually replied to his questions. Id say thats a new low, but the sad thing is that it isn't.

You'll fear of me is clearly wrong, as NeverIsForever has said, and as i also said in another thread a while back. Call it blasphemy to question the master, but if you cannot spot this error a mile off, hahah you really suck at engahlish.

Profanity’s comment referring to the use of the language in the lyrics may be a hyperbole. :)

I am starting to worry about the level of intelligence here, for example in the thread about the new album’s title, I recall a few people checking the meaning of reverie…

But that said, reading lyrics novels etc to expand your vocabulary is great, and to learn not to speak colloquially…

To answer this actual threads question, sorry I’ve never looked at Novembre, I only know they are from Italy? But check out In Flames Moonshield,

“Shattered hope became my guide and grief and pain my friends, a brother pact in blood-ink penned declared my silent end”.