Opeth Lyrics

In my opinion Mikael Åkerfeldt's lyrics have been masterful at one occasion, namely My Arms, Your Hearse. It really is the height of Opeth lyricism in my opinion. The concept flows through each text, connecting the songs lyrically, and there are so many great lines in there ("This day wept on my shoulders..", "It was me, peering through the looking glass..."), and the lyrics fit the music so incredibly well.

While there are some incredibly cool lyrics among the other Opeth-songs ("Serenity Painted Death"), I don't feel any of those can compare to the sublime dark poetry of My Arms, Your Hearse.

A few other lyricists in metal that I value: Paradise Lost's Nick Holmes had some great lyrics on the first four or five Lost albums, Aaron Stainthorpe from My Dying Bride has some wonderful poetry, and uh..yeah those two are good.

In my opinion Mikael Åkerfeldt's lyrics have been masterful at one occasion, namely My Arms, Your Hearse. It really is the height of Opeth lyricism in my opinion. The concept flows through each text, connecting the songs lyrically, and there are so many great lines in there ("This day wept on my shoulders..", "It was me, peering through the looking glass..."), and the lyrics fit the music so incredibly well.

While there are some incredibly cool lyrics among the other Opeth-songs ("Serenity Painted Death"), I don't feel any of those can compare to the sublime dark poetry of My Arms, Your Hearse.

Yeah I agree with you, I dont know if you people have noticed but the more I read the MAYH lyrics the better they are (I started to re-read them now that we are talking about the subject). oh and I definately agree that those 2 lines are absolutely amazing!

Now that I come to think of it, I have quite high lyric-expectations on the new album. We know how Åkerfelt talked about how he was influenced by his real life when writing them, specifically they would be dark and gloomy I reckon. Anyway it seems like they are going to be very personal and engaging , so I'd say we have another thing to look forward to in the new album!

Cant wait to be honest!