Lyrics in metal...who really cares?

PiercedFromWithin

The Philosopher
Nov 27, 2002
Quebec
none
Am I the only one who doesn't care if a metal album has good/bad lyrics. I see all these threads complaining about how this or that album could have been so much better if the band had worked more on the lyrics.

To me metal is all about the music. I mean that's why I started listening to it...Anyway, lyrics in metal are in general depressing, misanthropic or plain stupid if you ask me.

If I want good meaningful lyrics, I'll listen to some good punk rock (Bad Religion (favorite lyrics), Dead Kennedys, crass...). Now these bands had something to say. However, if I want a band that has something to play, I'll go with Opeth, slayer, death, cryptopsy, etc...

What do you think?

To me - voice is another instrument. If the sound of the voice fits the song - I'm all set. I have never memorized one single song by anybody. Lyrics just have never meant much to me.

Im into lyrics quite alot.. it adds another dimansion to the song by giving it a meaning and a message. You can get quite nice effects by playing with the mood of the song and the lyrics if you know what you are doing :)

Although I agree almost 100% with metalmancpa, lyrics are very important for me, depending on the band. Opeth isn't one of them, don't ask me why. Katatonia is a huge band for me to pay attention to the lyrics, and perhaps Strapping Young Lad as well.
Most bands though, it doesn't matter all that much to me.

Poetic and meaningful lyrics can enhance an already good song so much... If a certain song is great on its own and a certain poem is fascinating on its own, the combination of the two can make a masterpiece.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
To me - voice is another instrument.

I, too, agree with that. I would hate it if metal was only instrumental (i.e. malmsteen, vai, satriani... don't do much to me).

What I want to say is I really like to sing along a metal song (Try not singing along with angel of death) but I don't take it seriously...else I'd be a serial killer at the moment

I've found that metal bands have had some of the most meaningful lyrics I've ever read (Death for instance),so yes,I do care about them,but music should come first.Afterall,who cares about the lyrics if the music sucks?

Lyrics mean alot to me, but it really depends on the band.

If its Slayer, I could give two shits about the lyrics. I just dance all over my room and try to sing along.

If its Cannibal Corpse, no I can't get pasted the lyrics. Same with Rhapsody. I can't like a band's music if the lyrics make me laugh. Music and comedy don't belong together.

If its Tool, then yes, the lyrics mean alot. Not more then the music, but they're way up there on the importance scale.

If its Yes or Dream Theater, then I just sing along. As long as it sounds like they're singing about something good then I'm fine with it. I don't really analyze what they say or anything.

With Opeth I don't really care too much about the lyrics while I'm listening, but I usually sit down with each cd booklet and read through the whole thing.. that's when the lyrics mean something. It does make the music better for me too somehow, believe it or not.

Yep...I care about lyrics...quite a lot too. If someone is singing complete crap it annoys me, cos I usually pore over lyrics, I've memorised a ginourmous amount of songs by heaps of bands.

However...if that music is good enough that the crap lyrics can be overlooked, I'm ok with that.

...and my requirements for what constitute 'good lyrics' aren't really too high, I try not to get too hung up on things and try to listen to lyrics for what they are and what they're trying to say...crap lyrics are ones that lack a message...you could read a message in Orchid's lyrics but its too vague...but I like those lyrics for the imagery, not the meaning.

Better shut up before I start babbling.

It depends - bad lyrics don't necessarily ruin an album for me, if the music is top-notch. However, some stupid lines can make me dislike a song I could otherwise like - and vice versa: no matter how much I would like the lyrics of some bands (say Rage Against the Machine), the horribly bad music makes it impossible for me to listen to them.

And in some rare cases, the incredibly good lyrics enhance the already excellent music to unsurpassed levels - the only example I can give you here is Dark Tranquillity. :p

-Villain

i think that music is 90% of importance to me.
sometime harmonious g uitars, an awesome solo.. or some how a tune that ijust catches me,, and gives me that shiver is what i die for..
and i do like bands more cuz of their music than the lyrics,

but i do know ive fallen obsessional with bands cuz their lyrics are sensational, and add the extra dimension
eg - i love most of anathemas music especially on the judgement and Alternative 4 albums..but also the lyrics add an extra dimension that i love !!!

so i think a mixture.. cuz i love pantera's music but SOMETIMES i think man.. not so sure bowt lyrics.....
but thne nowt beets a bloody good mosh to a pantera track!!!

over and out!

:Shedevil: