meaningful death metal

I know it isn't that relevant, but has anyone heard Yattering? Worst lyrics ever in my opinion. And a SHIT band...
Which is a shame, becuase one of them (the vocalist I think) looks a little like Mike...

Just to add a band that hasn't been mentioned (surprisingly):

Quo Vadis - their latest album Defiant Imagination has some cool lyrics and awesome playing.

Riryoku said:
So, mutilating babies and tearing out their livers for food isn't meaningful enough for you, huh?

In wich song Strapping young lad talk about mutilate babies????

I think that's wrong... Their lyrics explain isolated events... words that explain shocking moments... after that the song almost loses any meaning... but if you look at that event the lyrics of Strapping young lad have a really deep sense!

I don't get it.

To me The Berzerker - Forever is a personal song, and in fact most of his lyrics seem personal to me. Just because they are made fantastical with the death element doesn't take away any of the personal depth beneath the gore. For example:

"Always living on the line of what you think is right or wrong,
there was a time when even i could not bear to be alone,
needing someone or something that is not mine to call my own,
to have and hold,
severing the only line of trust that you once thought you had,
now that i can see past you i can start to be a man,
death to me seems no mistake for i have yet to hate,
so can you see my pain, can you feel my pain, can you see my...
this, is my world,
and i see, what you don't,
forever, wanting more,
life breathes, from our soul,
looking into bloodshot eyes mesmerized they can't look back,
slowly turning in my mind is the visions of your death,
finding truth amongst my lies but not accepting now i grow,
and gain control,
opening to inner sanctums that you do not understand,
having no respect for life and taking it with my bare hands,
always searching with contempt for ways to rid my pounding head,
from this place,

This, is my world,
and i see, what you don't,
forever, wanting more,
life breathes, from our souls."

If you can't see that it is personal and about a bad relationship then you didn't read it, and obviously its coming from the singer imagining he had killed someone who hurt him in a relationship and examining the state of mind of killers as if they were in his position. Or if he lost control how he might feel becoming a killer or something in that area. Is a personal examination not meaningful?

CoB don't even include all the lyrics in the booklet and the singer has often said he would love to just play guitar. They are definatly not about the lyrics, but they are certainly personal to him, even if they are simple and quite thuggish sometimes!

I think a lot of people forget what music is about too, its art, just like a film, and people don't seem to complain about gory horror films like they do about gory music...

And if you watch the CC DVD with the last album you can see they are normal guys (except the singer and other guitarist, they seem a bit lugheadish...) but the bald guitarist, bassist and drummer seem like great guys, and certainly put a lot of effort into their song writing.

Its entertainment, if you don't find gory lyrics entertaining thats fair enough, but I know that even the most unrealistic gory lyrics are personal to the person who wrote them, maybe they wrote them with a friend over some beers, and had a great time doing so, or maybe they wrote it thinking about a messed up relationship or something. Maybe they are interested in the psychology of killers and like to write from their point of view?

Maybe they just like horror films and want to base their career on the things they enjoy? If people can make gory films/books/art why not music too?

Just because it isn't literal doesn't mean it can't be personal and meaningful.

Like i said, I don't get it.

I'd still stand by their right to express themselves, but its written really poorly on top of the fact it seems just written to shock.

I still reckon the song and lyrics are personal to whoever wrote them, even if its as a stand against pop music or something stupid. Obviously they aren't personal in a literal sense, but they have a literal meaning, and maybe they think by writing stuff they are breaking the boundaries of taboo and we'll all be able to talk about these important issues if we break those taboos...

But still... a VERY sucky lyricist!!

And it probably has a lot less content than I give it credit for, but I think its a bit hard to judge without knowing more about the band, their personalities, their humour and such.