Looking for some good Melodic Death metal bands

EveOfDarkness said:
Wintersun (as Benighted already mentioned)
Ensiferum
Swallow the Sun
Autumn Leaves
Black Dahlia Murder
Schaliach
Extol (Burial/Undecieved era)
Arsis
Vehemence

hope that helps

Schaliach - definitely melodic (Ole's the man)...but BDM? I guess I don't hear it.

You guys are making me want to hear some Swallow the Sun.

I'm not an expert on the genre, but I think you should get:

Carcass - Necroticism
Pestilence - Testimony of the ancients
Orphaned Land - Sahara & El Norra Alila
Tiamat - The astral sleep

MrJack said:
LMFAO at pig destroyer. yeah, they're melodic all right!

Yeah, they do some really subtle mellow stuff at the end of the album, its like... silence :p

Lots of good recs so far. I was obsessed with this genre about 5 or 6 years ago. Some of my favorites i don't think were mentioned are these albums:

Gardenian - Sindustries, or Soulburn
October Tide - Grey Dawn
Godgory - Resurrection (this one only loosely fits the description)
Withering Surface - The Nude Ballet
Lothlorien - Primal Event
Without Grief - Deflower
A Canorous Quintet - The Only Pure Hate

Just fyi, i'm not trying to plunk down names people don't know (you know how people do that with merely semi-decent bands?), but i really think these albums are fantastic and something every fan of the genre should check out.

I'm not sure if it's considered death or black, but Enslaved's Below the Lights is one of the more epic discs I've stumbled on in years. It took me a few listens, but it's the only album I've found of it's kind. But, beware . . . you won't be singing in the car to it. It's not that kind of melodic.

If there's other stuff out there that's similar . . . . please point me in the right direction!

If you want REAL melodic death metal I suggest you listen to these...

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
At the Gates - With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness
At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease
In Thy Dreams - Stream of Dispraised Souls
A Canorous Quintet - Silence of the World Beyond
Amon Amarth - Sorrow Throughout the Nine Worlds
In Flames - Lunar Strain
In Flames - Subterranean
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Dark Tranquillity - Of Chaos and Eternal Night

Please keep in mind that I listed them by album for a reason; these albums are produced somewhat the same way...so no weak, watered-down sound will you find here. If you like one, you WILL like them all.

Blind Stare - Symphony of Delusions
Was a random purchase about a month ago and has been playing on my iPod almost constantly since.

Arch Enemy of course.
I didn't like the earlier vocalist but Burning Bridges might be my favorite album from them. With Gossow, I will go for Doomsday Machine.
Very cool band to see live, too. Very energetic. Amott broz rule.

The Poona of Peshwa said:
Amon Amarth is the headbangin'est stuff out there. Also The Project Hate is real good, suprized nobody mentioned it.

I used to go to a site called whitetrashdevil.com, and Lord K of TPH was a moderator or frequent poster. He is one funny dude. He did some amazingly funny album reviews, too. I think he has a review site now. Anyone know it?

EDIT: Found it - http://www.globaldomination.se/
Go to the reviews and read any by Lord K.

As far as album suggestions, how 'bout...

The Crown - Possessed 13