Melodic death metal

yeah, it wouldn't be hard to imitate some basic turntable shit with guitars.

Check out Tom Morello (rage against the machine, audioslave, the nightwatchman) for some really sick experimental guitar stuff. He makes it sound like a full turntable.

"when i was 18 it was fun to b in the front row....now i rather stay in the back....you´ll see when you reach 30...."
Don't remember saying that...

Much better. Wintersun isn't true melodic death metal, but great stuff. Can't wait for Time.

Anyone else like Scar Symmetry? Pitch Black Progress is great.

I didn't really think PBP was that good, but Holographic Universe is flat out magical. The title track is mind-blowing. :headbang:

"Soilwork - everything up to and including A Predator's Portrait"
More like everything except Stabbing The Drama.

Steelbath, Chainheart, and Predator are the main ones.
NBC is cool.
I don't know how everyone keeps saying FNF is more nu metal than Stabbing, because Stabbing is probably their most fucking simplized guitar album I ever heard from them.
Sworn To A Great Divide >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A Sense Of Purpose.

NBC is cool.
I don't know how everyone keeps saying FNF is more nu metal than Stabbing, because Stabbing is probably their most fucking simplized guitar album I ever heard from them.
Sworn To A Great Divide >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A Sense Of Purpose.

I've been jamming to Soilwork's earlier stuff recently... so superior to their new stuff it is unreal. They really sound bland nowadays in comparison to their older sound, what a shame. Steelbath Suicide is a hugely underrated album, despite being kind of an In Flames/ATG inspired ripoff of sorts.

NBC is cool.

You're completely wrong A Sense of Purpose is the best thing In Flames has released since Come Clarity :loco:

Well to be fair their turntablist is also pretty good. But it's pretty sad that a metal band has to have a turntablist in their band just to make their sound more interesting. If their guitarists were more talented, I don't see why they couldn't just manipulate a few pedal effects for the same result (as there's rarely any scratching in their music anymore - just stupid beeps and shit)

But I know fuck all about guitars, so yeah....

^ I thoroughly enjoyed this commentary. Thank you.

5 stars

Steelbath Suicide is a hugely underrated album, despite being kind of an In Flames/ATG inspired ripoff of sorts.

No man that's stupid, they're not a ripoff because they're melodeath. They definently have their own sound.

Steelbath is a great album though, it's what I started with for Soilwork.

You're completely wrong A Sense of Purpose is the best thing In Flames has released since Come Clarity :loco:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHG..

Melodeath, I don't know what you guys think it actually means. (NOt talking about the Slipknot spam)

Anyway, worth checking out are CoB, Norther and Kalmah atleast.

Melodeath, I don't know what you guys think it actually means. (NOt talking about the Slipknot spam)

Anyway, worth checking out are CoB, Norther and Kalmah atleast.

ahh new cob is terrible imo
norther are ok, mirror of madness is killer album though
kalmah just flat out rule

SOME MELODETH FOR ALL YOU
Arghoslent, check out their new album 'hornets of the pogrom'
its amazing melodeth

No man that's stupid, they're not a ripoff because they're melodeath. They definently have their own sound.

Steelbath is a great album though, it's what I started with for Soilwork.

Ripoff was probably too strong of a word... you can hear elements of ATG/In Flames in the work, you can tell they've taken influence from Slaughter of the Soul for sure, and maybe some of TJR/Whoracle. I don't think they established the 'soilwork' sound until Chainheart Machine. Awesome album regardless.

Yeah they were very aggressive like ATG back then.

I wouldn't call Atgs agressive, and Soilwork agressive? joking right? when I think of agressive melodic death metal (but at same times melodic, beautiful) I think of Dark tranquillity's The gallery. Which is alot better than the overrated slaughter of the soul, or mediocre Steelbath suicide.

At The Gates - everything, although i'll agree Slaughter of the Soul was substantial under par (the mix on that album was superb though).
Amon Amarth - I don't really consider 'Viking Metal' to be a genre but more a thematic description, AA are melodic death and very damn good.
In Flames (obviously) - everything pre-Clayman although I don't mind Clayman itself
Insomnium - some riffs tread dangerously close to actually replaying Whoracle, but still an awesome band
Dark Tranq - pretty much enjoy all of it, although you can't go past the Gallery. Really like the Mind's I too
Kalmah - enjoy all their albums
The Haunted - Made Me Do It; probably more melodic thrash than straight melodic death, but I love this album
Soilwork - everything up to and including A Predator's Portrait
Dissection - straddles the boundary between melodic death and black metal, but Storm of the Light's Bane and Somberlain are two of the best metal albums ever made. Their post-prison stuff wasn't as good, but much more straight melodic death.

Strongly dislike what I have heard of Scar Symmetry, just sounds like B-grade pop music to me. Having said that, their latest album has an unbelievably good recording mix.

Lycanthia are also great! Love Aussie metal - but I am biased :)

werd.
funny to see you here though.
Yeah, Storm of the Light's Bane is definitely black metal but totally within the territory of melodic death metal fans. Great memorable melodic black metal.
"A spell was cast and the sky turned red"
fuck that's gonna be stuck in my head