Melodic death metal

...but would you be grateful?
Hm. Dismember, The Absence, At The Gates, Insomnium, Dimension Zero...start with that, I guess.

In my opinion, ''The Red in the Sky is Ours'' is the best melodic death metal ever made. The vocals sound tortured, the riffs sound depressive and sick and the idea of using violins worked well.

That album is so massively over-fellated it's ridiculous. It's a fantastic album but people can't stop masturbating to it to step back and realize that it's not actually godlike.

Scar Symmetry are fantastic, but their vocalist just left the band and is being replaced by a growling/singing duo. I can guarantee they're now going to be shit.

I agree with those who mentioned Dark Tranquility & Insommnium. Great bands. Although I prefer At The Gates when they were just straight death.
I'll admit that I'm not really a great fan of melodic death. I only have 5 melodic DM bands in my library.

Dark Tranquility
Amorphis
Insommnium
Quo Vadis
Skyfire

...but would you be grateful?
Hm. Dismember, The Absence, At The Gates, Insomnium, Dimension Zero...start with that, I guess.

Dismember only realeased one album that could be considered melodic death, Massive Killing Capacity. On the whole, they are just regular death.

Dismember have enough melody that they're a legitimate recommendation to a fan of melodic death metal, regardless of whether stuff like Ever Flowing crosses the line into melodic death or not.

That album is so massively over-fellated it's ridiculous. It's a fantastic album but people can't stop masturbating to it to step back and realize that it's not actually godlike.

How? most melodic death metal fans don't even know The red in the sky is ours, and think Slaughter of the soul is best melodic death album ever. :erk:

Find me a melodic death metal fan who doesn't know tRitSiO and I'll show you someone who shouldn't be calling themselves a melodic death metal fan because they don't know shit about said genre. You don't have to like it, but it's the melodic death metal equivalent of the Beatles or something.

Dismember have enough melody that they're a legitimate recommendation to a fan of melodic death metal, regardless of whether stuff like Ever Flowing crosses the line into melodic death or not.

:erk: Recommending Dismember as a whole to a melodic death fan when some of their albums have no melodic elements at all?\

Not all their stuff obviously. Anyone who started with dismember would figure out that LAEFS is their most famous and start with that, which is a perfectly good rec.

One album I probably forgot to mention is Edge of Sanity's Purgatory Afterglow. Very good melodic death metal, not too heavy and quite melodic, I like it though. Most songs have awesome, catchy choruses. :worship: