Death Metal Vocals.......

LoneWolfMusic

Jan 28, 2004
I was wondering what you guys think of the difference between Melodic Power vocals......Like DC Cooper, James Labrie and Rob Halford.

AND.....

Death metal vocals...........

I find death metal vocals hard to understand which makes it not very melodic. I really enjoy Opeth's vocal arrangements as they ARE melodic, but too many bands are not very memorable as the melodies aren't there.

------------------------

JWC

www.lonewolfmusic.com

Well, I find that it is not only the death vocals that make it awesome, it is a combination of the death and clean vocals, which creates a very dynamic sound, but yes they are different.

A lot can be done with Death vocals, even without any clean to back them up. Opeth (especially Still Life, for me) and Bloodbath are great examples of this. Also, I love Dan Swano's death voice.

I used to hate death vocals until I heard Opeth. Now I appreciate them for their cathartic effect. They can sound truly emotional, especially in songs about loss or despair. A good example is "I Wait", by Daylight Dies.

Yeah, I think Morningrise and Orchid had very epic death metal vocals on it. The newer Opeth stuff is a little more brutal than melodic, but it is still awesome. Also, Mr. Swano can growl his ass off, like someone mentioned earlier, his growl is very clear, and fits melodic type of death metal very well.

I personaly cant stand the 'melodic' singers that sound like they've grabbed their own balls with a multigrip and and sqeezed until they start coughing up man-juice.
Death metal singers put force behind their vocals. There's fucken agression there that can only be portrayed in death or black metal vocal styles. Its that bloody agression that gives the energy, and its the energy that makes it so fucken good.

Erich w/ an h said:
I think power metal vocals are, for the most part, shit. Nothing special about whiney hi-pitched pseudo emotional singing.
What exactly do you consider "power metal vocals?" Is it just some one that sings to where you can understand them or is it the fact that they are in a power metal band? If it's the first, then would you say that James Hetfield used "power metal vocals" in "Nothing Else Matters?" It seems that every one is catagorizing vocals as either "death" or "power metal" vocals. And to say that Bruce and Rob have "power metal" vocals is just blasphamest. They are just great singers that can carry a note or two.

Any way, I used to not care about the "death" style vocals, infact I disliked them alot until I heard Opeth. Then I just listened to the music instead of the vocals (cause I can't understand him sometimes).

Well, I can't believe some of you are dogging on clean vocals.....I love clean singing, almost as much as I appreciate the growls. Clean singing is one of the only ways to showcase a band like Opeth to a metal newb, and I guarantee that if Opeth had no clean vocal parts, they would not be nearly as popular.