Black\Death Vocals?

how would u define jonas style on december souls?
say whatever u want, i LIKE them, very emotional

Jonas's vocals on 'Jhva Elohim Meth' and 'Dance of December Souls' are more black metal vocals. But instead of going for 'evil', he was going for 'on my knees, pining and dying in the snow'. And he destroyed at it. Anders's vocals on 'For Funerals to Come....' were also COMPLETELY FUCKING AWESOME black metal vocals, some of my favorite of all time.

To whomever said Niklas Kvarforth and Rainer Landfermann: \m/ \m/ \m/ Also nice to see someone else who likes Funeral Mist.

Jonas's vocals on 'Jhva Elohim Meth' and 'Dance of December Souls' are more black metal vocals. But instead of going for 'evil', he was going for 'on my knees, pining and dying in the snow'. And he destroyed at it. Anders's vocals on 'For Funerals to Come....' were also COMPLETELY FUCKING AWESOME black metal vocals, some of my favorite of all time.

To whomever said Niklas Kvarforth and Rainer Landfermann: m/ m/ m/ Also nice to see someone else who likes Funeral Mist.

\m/ to you too my friend. =)

What a necrobump...black metal vocals can definitely be more expressive at times (ie Jonas on JEM and DODS, Varg on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, the dude from Austere etc) while death vocals can be more monotonous. Kvarforth definitely has one of my favorite black metal vocals, as of late.

I admit I have not heard much Black Metal, just well-known stuff like Immortal, Dimmu, etc. I didn't really like it, they tend to sound like angry gnomes. Then again I don't like the death vocals that are really really super-low all the time, as in Nile, or where there's too much voice mixed in with the growl like Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel.

I like Chuck Schuldiner, Mike, and the guy from Gojira (don't know his name) the best.

Fuck, how could I forget these guys: Paul Kuhr, Karl Sanders, Dallas Toler Wade, David Vincent, Valfar (of Windir), and of course...Devin Townsend =)

I like black metal more than death metal but I like death metal vocal more than black

I think I find death growls are easier for me to listen to, but then I'm thinking of Opeth when I think of death vocals. I don't really listen to any "true" death metal. I don't like Cannibal Corprse kinda vocals or anything that sounds like a septic tank backing up.
Bloodbath is a great example of kick ass "real" death metal. And it's Mikael Åkerfeldt, so it's like Opeth.
Another example is Dark Tranquillity. Mikael Stanne used to have this wonderfully emotional higher-pitched scream. Not quite black metal, maybe, but more black than death, best heard on 'The Gallery'. Later on, he changed to a lower-pitched, rather frustrated-sounding raspy growl, which works extremely well for the style they have now. But it doesn't work at all in conveying the emotion in 'Punish My Heaven', among others from their older material.
I think "Lethe" is one of the most emotional songs in existence.