Death Vocals?

His vocals on bloodbath definitely have some filters/effects on them. In opeth there aren't as many- but most studio albums have at least some post-production stuff done. I use bits of compression and verb myself, it helps sometimes to draw out the better attributes of your voice. A lot of nu-metal bands use pretty audible distortion in the studio. I don't like the effect that has at all.

Decadent said:
Why? Why are you convinced of this? Do you think that every death metal band on earth uses vocal filters or enhancements? Each DM vocalist is unique... there's a huge variety out there. The fact that you may think that Mike has "godlike" vocals has nothing to do the fact that he's just another growler.

I'm not convinced at all. Sorry if I sounded like I was, or knew for sure what I was talking about. But most vocalists of any kind do use some technology to bring out the best tone of their voice in studio. Not to say MA or any death vocalist has to have technology to make those growls...I've stated to the contrary. I'm only talking about the most common recording techniques.

Seth

I personally think solid 'clean' singing is alot harder to do than growling. This is pretty much attested to by a majority of metal types who pick up guitar and start growling for their band. It seems like almost anyone can growl, but none of them have the ability to hold a clean note.

I'm fairly lucky in the sense that I have a voice that is naturally able to stay tight and focused, but unfortunately my technique is nowhere near any level where the potential is to shine. Might take some vocal lessons somewhere down the track, maybe.

If you'd noticed, Mike started off in the debut with mainly raspy growling and rather weak clean singing (normally in the back of the mix, so you couldn't hear how he had trouble focusing the voice). In time though he improved his technique substantially and all is well now. He's at the point where he could comfortably take off for Opeth using his clean vocals as his primary vocal assault and using the growls more sparingly. That's if he *chose* to, of course :)

i sure hope not though. mike has a great clean voice, but i'm not being a fanboy when i say i think he's got the some of the best, if not THE best deathvox out there. there's something about it, it's a little different then the generic way dudes sound. i like it a lot. yeah, he had to had a little something on it for bloodbath, but his voice there is fuckin killer too.

speaking of bloodbath i think the hyppocrisy dude did alright.. brutal in some songs to be honest

Tatgren did fine. He has a great growling range. You have to face the fact that Mike is fairly monotonous when it comes to vocals. He has a specific range and style, and he sticks to it. The only variance is the fact that he can alternate between clean and growled really well. There are singers out there that do both the clean thing and growling thing better than him... I've yet to find one who mixes both together as well as he does though.

Moonlapse said:
Tatgren did fine. He has a great growling range. You have to face the fact that Mike is fairly monotonous when it comes to vocals. He has a specific range and style, and he sticks to it. The only variance is the fact that he can alternate between clean and growled really well. There are singers out there that do both the clean thing and growling thing better than him... I've yet to find one who mixes both together as well as he does though.

Vintersorg, on Borknagars 'Epic' he is unbelievable