Your thoughts on vocals

Risquit said:
There's something to that whole from-the-stomach thing. I can only growl when I burp. And it doesn't hurt at all. Feels kinda good actually. Too bad I can only get out like half a line.

***drinks Dr. Pepper...opens mouth...feels burp arriving from stomach..."we enter winter onc..." closes mouth because burp is over***
:lol:

I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

When I growl, it isn't conversation volume; it is certainly louder. However, it is not nearly as loud as when I scream. It's hard to describe what goes on, but when I growl, it's almost like I'm singing an actual note, but really forcefully, and I'm closing my throat a lot when I do it. The back of my tongue tends to raise towards the back of my mouth, also. The lower the growl, the further back in the throat it is. It helps to have phlegm in your throat, too, but it's not necessary. I used to experience soreness in my throat after growling, but I never do anymore; at most, I'm a bit hoarse, and that only after I've been growling/screaming/singing a lot. I don't know whether the reason my throat doesn't hurt anymore is because it's gotten calloused, or because my technique has just improved. I think it's the latter. In any case, my clean voice hasn't suffered from growling (mind, I'm not good singer anyway), it's improved (not as a result, though). Actually, the main thing I have to worry about hurting is my fucking head. I send a lot of force when I growl or scream, and I suppose it sends blood to the head, and if I'm not careful, then I end up with a really bad headache. The first time I ever experienced this was one day when I was screaming along with Emperor. I realized that I was sounding quite a bit like Ihsahn, so I kept going... and then I stopped. And there it was -- the worst headache ever. So just be careful of that.

Of course, I'm no teacher or actual vocalist, but this is just how I do it. Hope it was at least somewhat helpful.

One more thing, you will have to practice it a lot. Don't get discouraged if you sound stupid for a while (obviously, to some people you will always sound stupid... or insane), but just keep going. You can basically feel your way around, and try different things and see how they sound. It's a matter of developing muscles that you don't use much, for one thing (I think). So good luck. \m/

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Could you be arsed to record a a growl sample of yours??? Maybe to an Opeth guitar pro track or something, just to hear what you're talking about a little?? I recorded myself growling some of The Night and The SIlent Water a while ago, but it was in a little deeper style than the original, but I thought it sounded alright, and I think Ive gotten much better since then as well.

Yeah, I can. I have to get my good mic back though. I've been letting a friend use it and I don't want to try with a karoake mic ever again. I could open my new drum mics and maybe use one of those but then if my drummer doesn't come over two weeks from now they can't be returned... Is it cool if I just bump this thread in like a week?

thecrimsonchin said:
Yeah, I can. I have to get my good mic back though. I've been letting a friend use it and I don't want to try with a karoake mic ever again. I could open my new drum mics and maybe use one of those but then if my drummer doesn't come over two weeks from now they can't be returned... Is it cool if I just bump this thread in like a week?

Sounds like a plan, thanks, I appreciate it.

Can someone give me an opinion on this growling here? www.audiostreet.net/eternal
When i did this, I didn't really use my voice. If I use my voice it sounds a bit weird, because you can hear the tone, and I sound more like myself and less of a demon like Mikael... My vox on this mp3 is more of a loud whisper, but I think it sounds a bit better and also it doesn't damage my voice nearly as much.

daimonion said:
Can someone give me an opinion on this growling here? www.audiostreet.net/eternal
When i did this, I didn't really use my voice. If I use my voice it sounds a bit weird, because you can hear the tone, and I sound more like myself and less of a demon like Mikael... My vox on this mp3 is more of a loud whisper, but I think it sounds a bit better and also it doesn't damage my voice nearly as much.

Very nice! Great example of room level growling, they sounded quite a lot like Mike's! Personally I've been closing my throat a lot more then you were to increase sustain. How long can you hold a growl that way?

Btw, your singing wasn't bad either. I can hear the Opeth influence.

thecrimsonchin said:
Very nice! Great example of room level growling, they sounded quite a lot like Mike's! Personally I've been closing my throat a lot more then you were to increase sustain. How long can you hold a growl that way?

Btw, your singing wasn't bad either. I can hear the Opeth influence.
Very much an Opeth influenced song in every way, yes.

I haven't timed how long i can hold the growl, but pretty long, i think.

I wasn't really satisfied with my singing there, (both growls and actual singing) but its really nice to hear that you thought it was good.
Comparing it to Mikael might be a little over the top, though. :D But I guess its about the same style.

I recorded a song just for fun the other day. I found a drum track on my computer and decided to jam to it with my guitar. Then I added vocals yesterday - check it out and tell me how my growling is http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/shagramusic.htm
it's called decapitated by a ceiling fan (click on the version that has (w/vox) beside it) :) btw - I added a little bit of distortion and reverb to the vocal track.

To hear my singing, listen to "indirection (w/vox)"

shadedlife said:
I recorded a song just for fun the other day. I found a drum track on my computer and decided to jam to it with my guitar. Then I added vocals yesterday - check it out and tell me how my growling is http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/shagramusic.htm
it's called decapitated by a ceiling fan (click on the version that has (w/vox) beside it) :) btw - I added a little bit of distortion and reverb to the vocal track.

To hear my singing, listen to "indirection (w/vox)"
The growling was nice. A little blackish. You definately use your voice more than me. I just get sore from doing that.

it should not hurt if you growl.. if it hurt.. youre doing it wrong.. if you do death vox.. chances are they wont be heard as clearly and as loud as your normal voice..

Some vocals I've never understood come from varg vikernes (Burzum) and Jan someoneorother(in the woods).

Well the in the woods one is only on their first album, so go check out heart of the ages, or the song "yearning the seeds of a new dimension" for some impressive (and when i first heard them, scary) shrieking vocals.
Varg's scream is completely inhuman, i've never heard anything like it.

Also heard that bethlehem has a pretty bizarre vocalist...

Vargs vocals aren't really that difficult to do. Just crack your voice in a high falsetto.

Breathing Correctly. Thats where the potency in all vocals base from.

If you're power is honed with your stomach and diaphragm, your voice will need little to NO stress pushed onto it for growling/screaming/singing.

if anyone is interested.. I'll take the time and post the 10-14 daily breathing exercises that I have personally gained from.

i was reading thru these and no1 really mentioned on mikaels voice, anyways ive read a ton of interviews asking him about effects on his voice and he says no its all my own vioce. qiute frankly i belive him, i mean that sounds real to me , just because its so good doesnt mean its fake, but i think its cuz alot of death metal bands now r using effects, sometimes its cool, but i think all vocalists shod use their real voice. As for me i sing , i just kinda started singing actually but im yuong and i have all the time to practice, but ive been playin guitar for a while. i think peter has the best growls ever but i dont kno if i like his growls or his clean singing better his the best at both.

if anyone is interested.. I'll take the time and post the 10-14 daily breathing exercises that I have personally gained from.
I am quite interested, and if you did that, I would be eternally grateful.

I did a little bit of screaming and growling in another one of my songs. www.soundclick.com/shagra. It's called "atmospheric conspiracy".

I love mikael's voice. I want to be mikael the 2nd, except an Indian version.