Mike's Vocals

kalikatzaros

ouargh
Dec 21, 2007
Hellas
I was wondering, how would you rate Mike's death metal vocals in comparison to other such artists. To me they are just fucking amazing, evil and powerful but I don't really listen to other such bands so I have no way to compare.
Another thing. I was watching these youtube interviews with Mike and I saw that he smokes. I know that it affects clean vocals but does it affect grunts and growls and all that?

Personally i think Mikes growls are the weakest point in Opeth. While i love his clean voice, i dont think his growls are that outstanding. Not saying that i think they´re bad in any way,but if comparing to some other guys,like David Vincent or Jörgen Sandström i prefer them more.

I definitely prefer his death vocals to others. They are surprisingly easy to understand (at least for the newer records) and I like their 'smokiness'. While I'd call other vocals sometimes even funny (e.g. November's Doom - couldn't think of a better example at the moment) Mike's are authentic all the time. But above all they fit really good.

btw. Didn't he cut down the number of cigarettes recently?

I love his vocals more than any other because they are pretty clear and very evil sounding to me.

I was under the impression that he completely quit cigarettes a little while ago? Wasn't it due a lot to the birth of Melinda or something rather? Idk

I quite like his vocals, can't really think of anyone off-hand who's growls I like more. Maybe Steve Tucker (ex-Morbid Angel) but that's all that comes to mind right now.

I'm sure you guys know this, but just in case...His biggest vocal idol is Dave Vincent. Matter of fact, when they were down here (Florida)for the Deliverance tour, and G.R. tour, Vincent was there, and at the Deliverance tour...he paused to aknowledge that "Mr. Vincent was in attendance, and thanked him for being his vocal and creative inspiration. The part in Beneath the Mire, where he says the word emptiness...is a nod to Vincent. Just listen to God of Emptiness off of Morbid Angel's Covenant....

He's my favorite growler. His death vocals are everything one could want - evil, dark, deep and most importantly - highly decipherable. He controls his growl perfectly and varies it up with his great different tones.
The only growler I like quite as much is Peter Tagtgren, but I still don't think he's better than Mike.
If I ever learn how to growl, I'll be looking to Mike for inspiration.

Thanks for the info astronaut mattsson, I will check those bands out.
Godhead, sometimes i dont get what Mikes saying (growling) but yeah I think his voice is still kickass.
Btw, there are these vids on youtube with GoP and Baying of the Hounds with misheard lyrics. Shit's pretty funny. check it

Mike is the best growler imo and there is no other who sounds like him. I love the "windy" sound he gets, that's probaby because his output volume is low. Low output volume almoste always sound like crap. Paul from Novembers Doom is fucking awsome to and Jonas Renkse were one of the best.

Yeah. I remember cringing the first time I heard In Silence Enshrined.
I thought Brave Murder Day was better, but not only because of Mike's vocals.
Another annoying vocalist is Martin Schirenc. As much as I love Hollenthon, his vocals are annoying me.

The thing with Jonas vocals is that they are so emotional, this will sound realy gay but you can realy feal his pain. In Silence Enshrined is Katatonias worst song imo.

I think that Mike has an excellant growl, starting with Still Life, and getting better with each album. I also think that his best growl is actually on the Ayreon album.

Though, I think my favorite growler would probably be Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquillity, during The Gallery and The Minds I.