How famous would Opeth be?

Of course they would!! How many mentally retarded people listen to the band and turn if off because of the growling? (for proof, see user: Powers) And how many people have attention spans lasting 10-15 minutes? Not that people that listen to mainstream music really pay attention to the music, they only care if it sounds good or is relaxing or good to dance to. But Damnation was heaps more accessible, it just didn't get half PROMOTION as much as Ghost Reveries..

There is this band called Opeth. They recorded an album called Damnation. Iirc this album did not have "growling vocals". This was quoted as being a "one time deal" by Mikael Akerfeldt. They then recorded an album called Ghost Reveries, and brung back the death metal vocals.

They would be bigger than Abba and Europe combined ... teh biggest sweedish band in the world.

Their songs are so catchy I think Green Day are jealous actually ...

Mr Samsara said:
I think we would all agree that the guys are all talented and play their instruments well. I think we all agree that the Ålmighty has the talent and chops to write and play and sing songs that could have mainstream commercial appeal... hence, Opeth has the POTENTIAL to be a "Popular" band.

Opeth is however all about Dynamics and is in fact the central thread that never changes from record to record, label to label, era to era in the bands history... Dynamics. This has only become more apparent in the release of GR as Mike's clean vocal skills have improved dramatically and I would venture to say his confidence in his own vocal skills have given his growls/screams more life, thus creating an even more apparent disparity. This quality in fact is what attracts me most to Opeth and why they hold the position of my all time favorite band. I doubt that Opeth will ever change this quality.

Shit, what was the topic of this thread again?:zombie:
Why are you a moderator? You seem to know what you're talking about :D

DRSmith said:
To be honest, I doubt it would matter. I think they'de still have the underground fan-base they do now, simply because their songs don't complement mainstream culture. It's the same reason they aren't huge now... Complex, 10 minute plus songs just don't sit well with the average, short, catchy pop songs on the radio today.

ditto

Darktran said:
Hummmm... have you seen your sig ? :erk:

or am i wrong ? :erk:

I see it. Your point?

My sig is full of death/black bands whos vocalists use both rough and clean vocals, Opeth one of them.

It actually really surprises me that they can't get on the radio... I've shown it to a lot of my teeny bopping friends and they all love PT.

But yeah, NFU brought up a good point... Opeth would virtually be a heavier Porcupine Tree, and they're not in the charts or anything.

its not just the growling, the music itself is difficult for the mainstream to appreciate, esp when what they are used to is verse chorus structures and 3:30 length songs

Yeah, Porcupine Tree aren't exactly huge. But I'm not really sure how big they are in countries other than my own. Here, in the UK, they seem to sell out much bigger shows than Opeth do, without actually selling any more records.

Is this the same elsewhere, or not?

It's not the same elsewhere I'm probarly the first one to hear about Porcupine Tree in Denver.

I would have to say they would be alot more popular if they took away death vocals. Because Mikael has a very beatiful clean voice compared to alot rock/metal vocalist's today. Would I want that? No.

Ohh heres another fact my mother heard Death Whispered A Lullabye and loved it and all she care's for pop and 80's. Werid and funny.