How popular is Opeth ?

Zemb

Jun 10, 2001
France
Visit site
Well this is a question i am asking, they seem to be on a big label (MFN), but there are not a lot of fans of them in France, i have never seen an Opeth T-Shirt here (beside mine), and their gigs will be in small place (800 peoples at most).
So is Opeth popular in your country, does anyone know how many albums they have sold in their career ? 200 000 ?
How about BWP ? 100 000 ?

Opeth has gained some popularity with Blackwater Park I think. You can find that album at just about any store here in Austin, Texas. Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse are found quite often as well, but the first two I have never seen in a cd store... As for popularity, Austin is a wonderfule city for music fans, for one it is the live music capitol of the world, and music really seems to be centered here. I am proud of some of the things we have produced! Given that music is a big thing to Austinites you are bound to find fans of different genres, so Opeth is some what popular here. I have seen quite a lot of people with Opeth shirts on, but none are really my age (15). Just gotta promote them and see what happens is what I try and do! :)

In an interview with Opeth, just before Still Life came out, the band said they had sold about 20,000 copies each of their first 3 albums. Since that time, you have to figure those numbers have doubled, and that Blackwater Park has done at least twice those numbers, maybe 80,000. I would say they have sold at least 240,000 albums total world wide, but it could be more.

I've never encountered anyone from my area who was familiar with Opeth. Blackwater Park is pretty easily accessible thanks to Koch. I've also seen MAYH and Still Life in some stores. We currently don't carry any Opeth at all at the store I work at, though we've had all their releases at one point or another. I should talk to somebody about restocking them.

I can't say that I mind Opeth's relative obscurity. It would be nice to meet some people into similar music as myself, but it's also sort of gratifiying to be able to say "HA! My secret music is better than your Limp Biquick".

Or maybe I'm just odd. Whatever.

useful idiot,

Compact disc world with a bunch of locations in New Jersey has stock or can order any Opeth disc you want. They also allow you to listen to any disc before you buy it and you have 1 week since your purchase to return it for store credit. You do have to pay a small fee to become a member.

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
useful idiot,

Compact disc world with a bunch of locations in New Jersey has stock or can order any Opeth disc you want. They also allow you to listen to any disc before you buy it and you have 1 week since your purchase to return it for store credit. You do have to pay a small fee to become a member.
Yeah, there are a very small number of stores that would carry Opeth CDs near me. Compact Disc World and Vintage Vinyl come to mind...but those are both about an hour drive from my house and I have no car.